Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Install a '95 ZR 700 engine in a '99 ZR 500 efi chassis?

I just picked up a low mileage 1999 ZR500 "rolling" chassis in excellent condition. The wiring harness is still installed, but the EFI electronics are removed.

Here's my question, will a '95 ZR700 engine fit in that chassis? I also have all the engine mounts from the original 500 motor.

If the engine fits, I plan to transfer the wiring harness, coil, CDI, fuel pumps & etc from the donor sled (90 Wildcat) to the new ZR.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
You will need the proper mounts for the 700, if your current block does not have the holes for the newer mounts it will not work. The older 650 and 700's used a plate bolted to the bottom of the motor and I am pretty sure that is how your motor is mounted. The older bottom ends did not have any provisions for mount brackets. Your exhaust will not work in the 99 chassis, neither will your electronics as one is an open system and the other closed.

You could make it work but it will be time consuming and money consuming also.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will need the proper mounts for the 700, if your current block does not have the holes for the newer mounts it will not work.

My block has threaded holes for both a plate mount or hanger.

The exhaust will not work in the 99 chassis

I'm hoping to find a Y-pipe manifold and use the 99's original exhaust.

neither will your electronics as one is an open system and the other closed.

If I used the complete ignition setup out of the Wildcat, wouldn't that eliminate the open vs closed loop problem?

You could make it work but it will be time consuming and money consuming also.
I really appreciate everyone's input on this project. it brings up excellent points that I'm sure I'd overlook. Right now, the planning phase is still in my head.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
You will need the 700 Y pipe and the 700 expansion chamber. You could completely rewire the sled but if your gonna go for it I would try to find all the 99 700 electronics.

I don't blame you for wanting to upgrade your ride, I say go for it! You have all summer to source parts and get it done!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the mounting brackets to put that motor in that chassis. I also have a set of twin pipes and stinger that I modified from an older Zr for that chassis. You can run that wiring harness. Use the ignition switch for the older motor but the newer style kill switch will just be backwards. I've already done this swap. I have most of the stuff needed to do it cause I pulled the 700 and shoehorned an 800 triple in it. If you decide to do it pm me and I'll give you a very good deal on the parts.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the mounting brackets to put that motor in that chassis. I also have a set of twin pipes and stinger that I modified from an older Zr for that chassis. You can run that wiring harness. Use the ignition switch for the older motor but the newer style kill switch will just be backwards. I've already done this swap. I have most of the stuff needed to do it cause I pulled the 700 and shoehorned an 800 triple in it. If you decide to do it pm me and I'll give you a very good deal on the parts.
PM sent (twice) but not sure either of then went through....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.