Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sat all year. I fired it up and it won’t rev past 3000 rpm. I ohmed the stator and i get 480 and 45. Now all the info I’ve seen here and on other forums state that is a normal spec. The manual says 13-20 ohms on both high and low ignition coils. It’s site acting like the high side is no good. I’ve seen this before on cats.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does the engine break up at 3000 or does it rev to 3000 smoothly but just won't go past 3000?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems smooth

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like there’sa rev limiter

·
Registered
102 Posts
This may, and I stress may, be due to a faulty TPS. It kinda seems like the ECU may have defaulted to the "limp home" mode. Since the TPS signal is the most important for fuel/air ratio calcutions most calibrations fall back to a "safe" strategy to get the sled home. Also, the trottle blade may be obstructed so check if for full range of movement. Also, pull the throttle body off and hose it out with some MAF cleaner and clean and reseat the TPS connector. Check TPS values as twatermelon suggests also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the tps specs?

·
Registered
102 Posts
The TPS is a 5000 ohm voltage divider. The red wire is the 5V, the black wire is ground and the white wire is the ECM throttle position voltage signal. If you disconnect the cable and place the positive lead on the red terminal and the negative on the black terminal (on the male pins of the TPS) you should see the full 5000 ohms. Next, place the positive lead on the white male terminal and the negative lead on the black male terminal and slowly rotate the throttle blade. You should see the resistance move from some minimum value to some maximum value. The values aren't really as important as the values steadily increasing and decreasing with no abrupt changes or dropouts.
If this checks good you can try the following if you are comfortable. Place the sled on a run stand or safely raise the track off the ground and secure the sled appropriately. You can reconnect the TPS harness and stick one sewing needle (or pin) into the white wire and another needle into the ground wire. The white wire is the ECM throttle position voltage signal. Set your meter to measure 5VDC. Start the sled and measure the voltage at idle you should read 0.625 to 0.647 VDC, VERY BRIEFLY pin the throttle and record the voltage. Max open voltage is 3.575 to 3.937 VDC.
Since I don't know you level of expertise or the equipment you have on hand this is to be undertaken solely at your own risk. Safety first.
As twatermelon suggested, also look for any mechanical causes with the clutches to make sure they are moving and engaging properly. One issue I found with a friends sled when it would not rev was the secondary clutch bolt was laying in the belly pan. The secondary was "walking" on the shaft.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
The secondary is supposed to float on the shaft. A lot of people, namely racers, will not even run a bolt in the secondary clutch. I've seen it many times.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey if it’s a 99, there’s a chance the red wire from the TPS harness may be wearing up against the steering shaft.
It’s what happened on my 98 ZR. The rubber motor mounts “squished” and settled over time, and the whole engine sat lower in the pan than it did when new, causing the red wire to wear through all the way to the conductor against the steel steering shaft, causing for my sled to “limp home”.
I’m currently working on resolving this issue on mine with fresh mounts and an extra washer or two to shim the motor up and away from the steering shaft.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting your TSS there are videos on YouTube to help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I disconnected that two years ago

·
Registered
10,560 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a fluke 88 and I have the experience. I took the belt off the clutches to eliminate any clutch issues. That didn't change anything. I had to put this project on the back burner for a bit. I'll be looking into is again today hopefully if I have the time.
I appreciate all the input!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked at it today. I pulled the tps plug and installed two back probes and started it. It reved right up no problem. So I'm thinking the tps wasn't getting a good connection.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts