Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, yep, i am still a newbie. just got this sled going today, but i have a couple of questions: 1) how do you set the air/mixture screws correctly? the sled runs good now, but i just want to make sure it is not running to lean to burn up piston again. on motorcycles we do an idle drop method but those are 4 strokes. any ideas? 2) how do you correctly set the idle speed/slide stops screws correctly. if you turn one in, the rpms go up. but how do you sync them so the slides are at the same level? 3) what kind of oil does the rev gearbox take? it is a little low.. and 4) at what rpm should the sled remain at idle at? any help would be great. I dunno suppose to get 8-12 inches of white gold tonight and tommorrow and would like to take for a test spin. thanks all, Aaron

·
Registered
955 Posts
1 1/4 out from lightly seated as far as gear box ? rev ? ski dont ? 5 bucks for a pint @ the cat dealer idol speed any where from 1500 - 1000 warm it up real good first before any adjustments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 1/4 turn from lightly seated from which? air/mixture screws or idle/slide stop screws?. cat dealer is not close to me. thats why i was asking. thanks....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACZR440's @ Dec 19 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1 1/4 out from lightly seated as far as gear box ? rev ? ski dont ? 5 bucks for a pint @ the cat dealer idol speed any where from 1500 - 1000 warm it up real good first before any adjustments[/b]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'll try and help you out

I have a 98 zl440, everything I state is based off of a 98 zl440 factory manual. I would think this should be close to a 99.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT JETS INSTALLED.
-Pilot air screws are 1.5 turns out from lightly seated.
-Desired idle speed is 1,500-2,000 rpm

This is what the book says for carb sync
1. Take carbs off sled. Check to make sure both throttle valves start to open at the exact same moment by placing fingers on the throttle vavles then lightly compress the throttle lever. I take my time and really focus while doing this. If they start to open the same time, great. If not Adjust the swivel adapter on top of the carb and repeat. Tighten everything when complete.

2. This is not from the book, this is what I do for idle adjust. While the carbs are off, take a 1/8" drill bit and put it in the bottom of the carb, throttle valve and adjust the idle screw until the drill bit can slide in and out with a tiny bit of resistance. Do this on each carb. This will get your idle close, I believe it will make the idle a bit high.

3. Install carbs, fire up sled. Let it warm up for at least 3 minutes. Adjust idle equally for each carb. If you drop the idle a half turn in 1 carb, do it to the other. Do this until you get to your desired idle.

I believe there are gages you can make or purchase to help with carb sync but this is what I've done and it works for me.

As far as chaincase oil with reverse. Your sure bet is cat gear oil. Some people say they use ATF, some use 80W-90. The manual says "transmission lube" but it does not say anything about reverse.

If you search for carb sync and chaincase oil you will find a lot of info. Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts