Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’ve got a 1999 Artic Cat Z440 that I just picked up from my boss a few weeks ago. He’s always had trouble running it through the years or hard starts or having to run on full/half choke while riding. When I bought it from him I pulled the carb to clean it but realized the choke assembly was cross threaded, so I went and bought a new mikuni 34-389 carb and put it on. Now it won’t idle at all, and will only run at very high rpms. As soon as you throttle down it stalls. Any ideas??

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's a can of worms question... if the carb was even the problem. You can't just slip in a new carb. The needle jets, Jet needles, air jets, main jets, throttle valve, jet needle C clip setting etc.... all need to match, be set correct etc.... Pilot, air jet screws etc need to be set same also. ONLY drag racers offset carb settings on Mag / PTO sides... Most new carbs off shelf come over fueled etc... Here is one NEW with specs. See if it matches the other carb jets etc.... Then see if both C clips on jet needle are on same spot on both carbs. And if one of the carb throttle cable is not installed on the jet needle correct on throttle valve slide, the needle will never go up / down in main jet. It will just sit there and float up down. Even your throttle valve slides for basic idle should be set the same with the cable adjustments.. If ya don't have correct tool you can just slip in different size phillips scew drivers to besure the slide is even distance up / down on both carbs. don't just go by how many times ya turned the idle screw.
  • All have 1.5 needle valves for use with a fuel pump

• SPECIFICATIONS:
    Spigot OD:
    40 mm
    Bell OD: 58 mm
    Main Jet: 330
    Pilot Jet: 30
    Air Jet: 0.5
    Needle Jet: 159 Q-2
    Jet Needle: 6DH2
    Throttle Slide: 2.5
    Choke Type: Cable