Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1999 Thundercat Mountaincat with the 136" 2" paddles. Sled only has 1130 miles on it. I am going to be mostly trail and lake running in the Midwest with this thing so I want to get a track with a little less lug.

I'm thinking a 136 X 15 X 1.25 does this sound reasonable for a trail runner?

Also, I just want to verify that this track is the 2.52 pitch is that correct?

Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
yeah, 2.52 pitch. You will get many opinions on track and studs.I ran a 1.25 track with 1.7 woody carbide studs on the trail and it worked pretty good all around.Even with the great winter we had this year, i found that most of the areas i ride are icy anyways....so i am switching to chisels next year.Sold the track already... sorry . The way my sled is setup, i had a real hard time getting great traction all the time.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
From what I had read that Rip 2 hooks up very well with out studs and stops very well also.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Have a 1.25 on my 2000 T-Cat mc,works very well for trail or some off trail riding. Just dont get crazy with the 6 foot drifts,she's a heavy beast!!
I here you there!! My buddy bought a 96 T-cat and stopped in 4 foot of powder. We had to dig all 625lbs of it out!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a very nice used 136" Camoplast Ripsaw 1" track with 1.25" studs. I believe 162 picks in the track. Very low miles, picks are new. Asking $350 I offered $300.
1) Would this track meet my needs for a trail rider?
2) Is this a decent price?
3) If the track is picked like it is, do I need to upgrade to more aggressive carbides?
4) Any input accepted.

Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Well if it is (picked) it is set up for ice and those pics wont last 100 miles in the trails and crossing roads. If they are carbide studs that is a different story. But Picks usually means Ice Picks and are just harden steel for ice only and will where out extremely fast on a trail sled!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
For trail riding it should work well,will need good carbide on the ski's to get her to turn on icy corners with all the studs in it. Clearance should not be a issue,remember it has a 2 inch paddle track on it now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the update. I am going to pick up the track next week sometime and will have to research what may be a matching carbide to go along with this setup.

This won't be my main sled, just something to take out every now & then to stretch my arms to ape-like proportions. Looking forward to it. This is my first Cat since owning a 1981 Arctic Jag.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Again, thanks for the advise. Even though summer is quickly moving up on us, I am looking forward to going through this beast over the summer to make sure everything is looking OK and really looking forward to riding it next winter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts