Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just picked this thing up for my kid , runs great on the stand if I pin it I’ll hit 8000 no prb , if I take it down the drive way it hits a wall at 6500 . Any pointers would be great , compression is 125 both sides , I changed belt and plugs . No change

·
Registered
620 Posts
I would suggest taking a black marker and draw a solid line from the hub of each clutch, radially out to the edge of the sheaves. Then drive it around. The belt will rub off the mark where it shifts too.

I'm thinking the clutches need cleaning and rebuilding, which is preventing them from shifting all the way when under load. The marker trick will help troubleshoot this.

It might be something like the spring being too weak on the secondary. It might be shifting too early

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was leaning towards clutching , the primary is newish , but it’s not a cat clutch it’s one of them cv tech clutch’s I also noticed that the sled engages super early like 1500ish , the marker is a great idea

·
Registered
620 Posts
I was leaning towards clutching , the primary is newish , but it’s not a cat clutch it’s one of them cv tech clutch’s I also noticed that the sled engages super early like 1500ish , the marker is a great idea
Engagement on my 1998 zr 500 was at 5000rpm.im thinking maybe the spring and weights may not be at all near stock. I'm not familiar with the cvtech clutch vs stock 9 tower clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I just got back from work , I changed belt and I marked the shelves on primary and secondary , the primary doesn’t look like the belt is moving at all . The line is all still there accept in the bottom inch off the primary . And in the secondary it doesn’t seem to be doing down the Sheve

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think it's time to pull the clutches off and go through them. You'll need an arctic cat clutch puller for the primary, and then some prayers for the secondary. The secondarys are notorious for being seized onto the jack shafts on these sleds.

If you have a vice, a large bolt or threaded rod and some large washers can be used as a clutch press to safely release spring tension on the primary. It's not absolutely necessary, as you could kneel on it and use your body weight to keep the spring compressed. There should be some good YouTube videos on this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The primary seems new I pulled some of it apart today , member it’s not a stock clutch it’s a Cv tech , basicly 3 pucks slide instead of weights , they have lil weights in the pucks I removes weight from each puck . No change . It’s just seems weird that on the stand I can get the clutch to go through it’s motions . Maybe it could be in the secondary ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts