Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - New here and seeking some options on what to checkout next, situation as follows:
  • 1999 Pantera 580 EFI with 2,512 miles
  • Started and ran great last season
  • Now the battery is junk, will be getting replaced
  • Also now can only get it to start and run for a brief time by putting fuel into the spark plug holes / cylinders
  • Fuel pump checks out ok
I thought this would / should run without the battery for the EFI but please correct me if I am mistaken. Also, is there some screen or filters that are ahead of the injectors I should be checking for blockage of fuel flow to the injectors? Lastly, any suggestions on the best source for downloading a PDF copy of the service manual?

Thank you in advanced for any input on this one.

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
If you didn’t prep the gas for summer storage you could have an issue with the gas itself. Also the injectors could be stuck closed. Tap them with a screwdriver handle a bit. The “smart” valves on fuel line in the tank could also be stuck closed. The only way to check them is with a fuel pump removal. With the small gas cap you wouldn’t be able to check them from there.
Sources for 99 models are hard to find. Country Cat has service manuals for 2000 and newer. It’s worth it to look there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
660catman - Thank you for the response. Fuel was treated last year prior to being put in storage so assuming, for now, the fuel itself was / is ok yet. I am narrowing in on the "smart valves" as the potential issue but going to do your injector test first.

Noted and agreed on this year manual being a slight challenge to locate, some many of my searches on line are resulting in combined year service manual, perhaps that is all Cat provided and I just need to get one of those; I had assumed there was a specific to year and model of this sled service manual but I am usually wrong.

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
The service manuals are under technical information and are year specific starting with year 2000. Also, did you run the treated fuel throughout the system? If you didn’t, pull line off fuel rail and turn sled over to get fresh gas in line. I’ll run mine a good ten minutes before shutting it down. Of course, watch engine temps.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hello - New here and seeking some options on what to checkout next, situation as follows:
  • 1999 Pantera 580 EFI with 2,512 miles
  • Started and ran great last season
  • Now the battery is junk, will be getting replaced
  • Also now can only get it to start and run for a brief time by putting fuel into the spark plug holes / cylinders
  • Fuel pump checks out ok
I thought this would / should run without the battery for the EFI but please correct me if I am mistaken. Also, is there some screen or filters that are ahead of the injectors I should be checking for blockage of fuel flow to the injectors? Lastly, any suggestions on the best source for downloading a PDF copy of the service manual?

Thank you in advanced for any input on this one.
If you suspect the injectors are not being activated, use a mechanics stethoscope on the injector body while someone pulls it over. Should here a sharp click, click, click.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts