Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sled is an all-around sled. It's built for everything! Riding, Aggressive Riding, Mountain, Climbing, and Boondockin'. Normally, I try to keep a constant pace to prevent the belt from slipping and flat-spotting and fraying, and to prevent the clutch from warping and the spark plugs from fouling. My spark plugs foul out fairly quickly and my belts are good untill I get stuck or climb or take off from idle to W.O.T. I don't jump or pop the clutch anymore or slam it. Here's a few questions and issues I'm having that I would like simple, yet detailed, explainations to...

1. Should I run the stock/factory belt or an after market belt? I ran an Arctic Cat belt and it NEVER wore until aging occurred. I ran an after market performance belt and it wore.

2. Should I clean my clutch and rotars before installing & applying the new belt and specifications to remove oils & residue so it grabs over slipping?

3. I have Dual Reeds! So, At low speeds it's smooth. If I open it up, I get this "SNAP" where you feel the sled really KICK-IN at a certain Speed-over-R.P.M. Now, I don't feel that snap- It sounds like it's over-rev'ing and red-lining. Back when it had that "SNAP", you could tell that the sled WANTED to do over 120 M.P.H. and it was steady and the needle rose rather quickly and the needle wouldn't studder and jump and the "SNAP" was ENDLESS! There was no hinting of an over-rev'ing or sense of over-heation. Is this because of fouled plugs and a lowsy belt or is it the reeds are worn out? I didn't think reeds wore out, especially after a few hundred or so miles.

·
Registered
633 Posts
i'm guessing you have boyesen power reeds. pull them out and inspect them. check for proper belt deflection and clutch alignment. its not a bad idea to pop both clutches off and clean/inspect them. go over the sheaves with emery clothe to clean off any residue, but then wipe every thing down with a cloth to get rid of any dust.

your sled wont do 120, and you shouldnt need to clean your brake rotor, but perhaps your pads are rubbing on the rotor too much and causing alot of drag?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My sled does do 120. It's a modified. Do you really think it's the reeds? How do I get to them the simplest?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.