Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So I recently acquired a 1999 Arctic Cat 500. The machine had been sitting for about a year. I had issues with the seal in the fuel shutoff so I replaced the shutoff valve and all is well. I drained the oil and there was more fuel than oil in the crankcase. Refilled with some 15w-40 because thats what was lying around. The carb was filthy. I pulled it apart twice, cooked it in an ultrasonic parts cleaner and reassembled. The machine starts and idles perfectly. The issue I am having (which seems to be a common issue) is that when I give it throttle it just bogs and backfires. I have searched everywhere but everything I read and try yields no results. I have searched and searched but nothing has made a difference. Just wondering if anyone has any insight. I am not new to mechanics just small engines. If anyone can give me any ideas I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add, some things I’ve noticed are a fair bit of corrosion around the bike. I have cleaned the connections on the coil and put in a new plug. The exhaust leaks where it meets the head. The intake hose between the air box and carb is severely cracked but covered in electrical tape.

Thanks

·
Administrator
35,841 Posts
You need to get that oil out of it. It needs to be wet clutch safe oil.
What condition was the diaphragm? Are you sure it is seated in the groove?
Put a new intake on it, as it is probably running lean and that can torch a piston.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I will give it an oil change. Wasn’t going to run this too long anyway, just to get the rest of the fuel out. The diaphragm seemed ok and I made sure it was seated with the little nub in the proper spot. I will try and track down a new intake hose. I think that contributing to the backfiring.

·
Administrator
35,841 Posts
If you run it ,at all , you can contaminate your clutch shoes and then they will slip. Pretty pricey to replace

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not too worried about the oil. I’m not spending money on the thing until I can figure out how to make it run properly.

·
Administrator
35,841 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts