Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few weeks I have been fouling at least 1 spark plug every ride!! I run 92 octane and when I replace the plugs I replace all 3...The weather has been a little warmer, but not over 30F. When I take out the plugs, the fouled one is wet with no extra oil, or carbon and there is no evidance that that it is burned in any way. And after I change out the plugs it runs great until I foul another plug. It was suggested to me to try lowering the slide needles one step down from stock, but I am a little afraid that this will lean out my mix too much on the top end. I made sure that my plug wires are not corroded and tight - what next???

Oh and does it matter what wire goes to what cylinder from the CDI? - it being a triple I was not sure since there seems to be 2 CDI's or one CDI and one slave.

Please let me know on both accounts - I know that plugs are inexpensive but it is becomming a pain for everyone else having to wait for me to change plugs on the trail....

Thanks,

Arctic Yooper

·
Registered
780 Posts
What plugs are you currently using? May try one heat range warmer. e.g. if you are using BR9EYA/BR9ES, switch to a BR8EYA/BR8ES. The lower the number indicates hotter plug.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I have great compression - the engine runs soo much better with higher octane - Yes it is the middle cylinder that is fouling all of the plugs. I didn't even occur to me to check the choke circuit!!!!!!!!! OK, now, how do I do that?????

·
Registered
161 Posts
Arctic

Moving your c clip on your needles up one (dopping the needle) will have no effect on your top end. Your main controls your top end.

I have dropped the needles in my sled and it has made a huge differance in the midrange and with fuel economy as well.

I have yet to foul a plug.

There is nothing wrong with running premium fuel, it will provide you with a bit more protection from a melt down, some would say this is cheap insurance.

I run regular fuel (especially now with fuel prices so high) and make sure I dont keep it to the bar that long when its really cold out.

If you have stock mains, drop your needles, you will be pleasantly surprised at how much more responsive your sled is and how clean your plugs will be.

Ben

·
Registered
199 Posts
do a mid range check by checking plug color at different rpms betore you do any clipping down on the needle,if you are coming up with dark plugs you are safe to change clip positions but if you are tanny and clip down you will be running a chance of locking up eg midrange burndown

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well not that it matters but I figured it out. Thanks to everyone who put your 2 cents in.....Making sure that your plug wires are seated and making a good connection at BOTH ends goes a looooong way!!! I cut about 1.5" off of both ends of my plug wires and screwed them back together, not only am I not fouling plugs, my hole shot and mid range power have dramatically increased!!!

Tech Tip, check to make sure that your plug wires are tight BEFORE each ride, if you have small zip ties, putting one on each plug cap to secure the wires works great!!!

Thanks

ArcticYooper

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!

From your first post you asked about wires going where. I don't thing anyone answered that, but no it doesn't mattter. You can switch them up and it's fine. They actually fire 3 times per revolution. Also the wires come from the coils and on tripples there are 2 coils. The CDI is a little black box usually mounted to the airbox.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts