Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this just started happening. my zr wont rev pass 7000 rpm. i have tried cleaning my clutches and put new weights and springs.(clutch kit) the problem is still there. i put my machine on a stand and still it wont past 7000 rpm. im leaning to a bad stator, but havent check it yet. im think stator because i bought a aftermarket stator last season.(cheap a..) if you have any ideas please let me know....thanks

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
check the stator and the ignition timing sensor. If that teswts out good I would try a fuel pressure guage next.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok... i took some readings on my stator and timimg sensor here they are and tell me what you think.
cold ..................................warm(by a heater for 30 mins)
brown/green=458 ohms .........brown/green=553 ohms
black/brown=503ohms ...........black/brown=602 ohms
green/black=45 ohms ............green/black=51 ohms
timing sensor=92 ohms ..........timing sensor=105 ohms

warm(at room temp)
black/green=515 ohms
black/brown=562 ohms
green/black=51 ohms
timing sensor=99 ohms

so what do you think. i think its my stator thats bad......thanks

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
ok... i took some readings on my stator and timimg sensor here they are and tell me what you think.
cold ..................................warm(by a heater for 30 mins)
brown/green=458 ohms .........brown/green=553 ohms
black/brown=503ohms ...........black/brown=602 ohms
green/black=45 ohms ............green/black=51 ohms
timing sensor=92 ohms ..........timing sensor=105 ohms

warm(at room temp)
black/green=515 ohms
black/brown=562 ohms
green/black=51 ohms
timing sensor=99 ohms

so what do you think. i think its my stator thats bad......thanks

All readings for both stators are bad... timing sensor is fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thats what i kinda figured after i did my test......thanks for all the help. i will never buy a aftermarket stator again. blaine , do you still buy old stators. i have 3, 1 from a 01 zr 440 sno pro carb(oem), 2 98 zr 600 efi (1 oem and i aftermarket)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Update

Well, I installed my rebuilt stator and it did nothing. The thing it did fix is I could hit 90 mph on a stand before it was only 70 mph. Dangerous I Know. it still won't past 7000-7200rpms. It's much lower when riding it. It's like pulling something. The idle is fine and take off pulls good, but when I try to go faster it falls on its face. Like I'm riding on 1 cylinder. Any input would help.....thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have tried new weights and springs. I have tried 49.5 , 52, 53 and even 57 grams weights with no difference. i have tried different holes on my secondary with no luck, but a new belt I have not, but I have two and I tried both belts. They are not new tho. I will buy a belt and see what happens. Have to order it. Any other ideas I can try , while I wait for my belt. We just got a lot of snow..............p.s thanks for your ideas people's , I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have tried new weights and springs. I have tried 49.5 , 52, 53 and even 57 grams weights with no difference. i have tried different holes on my secondary with no luck, but a new belt I have not, but I have two and I tried both belts. They are not new tho. I will buy a belt and see what happens. Have to order it. Any other ideas I can try , while I wait for my belt. We just got a lot of snow..............p.s thanks for your ideas people's , I really appreciate it.

Did you end up figuring it out. I am having the same problem. I spoke with kev and i believe my stator is fine but im having same symptoms. strts idels great no balls tho like running on one cyclinder. im at a lose of words at this point. if i had a spare i would swap parts till i find the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was chasing a bogging problem that would come and go on a 98 600 ZR EFI. It turned out to be worn reeds. Always suspected it was the problem. Because, the engine sounded out of tune like a musical instrument does when the reed needs cleaning or replacement. But a few things needed repair before getting to the reed replacement. The stator finally went on the lighting coil. Test showed the other coils on the stator were good. Sent it out to a guy in Ontario and his tests showed it needed a complete rebuild. I think he put voltage through the stator, I guess it showed it was leaking voltage on the fuel and ignition coils. Anyway the lights are like a torch now! This guy is a real craftsman too! The fuel tank smart valves were also sticking, starving the engine of fuel and cutting out while riding. The smart valves were masking the tired reeds. Smart valves can purchased at Jegs or Summit racing for a 1/8 of the price of factory pieces.

If you replace the reeds go with the factory ones. See my recent post about this. Boyesen's are half the price, and they may work great, if the reed stops are used. I've used Boyesen's on past power sport toys with great results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts