Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 ZL 500, it is has always been a pretty loud machine but on my last ride it seemed to be much louder. I found a hole in the exhaust pipe just before it connects to the engine..I am sure that why it is so loud and it seemed to run like **** since. I do not know if I could weld it or if I need a whole need pipe...any info would help and a price for a new pipe would be good too, thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A hole in the pipe will make it run bad, they are designed to hold a certain temp, and help the engine maintain its temp for best performance.

I have a zr that did the same thing....got really loud, never affected the way it ran, but I found on mine that under the heat shield it had a bunch of pin holes, and that the chamber itself was split right down the seam 1/2 way around it...At the time I was getting ready for a trip so I cleaned it up the best I could, welded it back up. worked fine the rest of the season, then I found a used one on e-bay that I replaced it with last summer...Still have the pipe on the shelf....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Duddy, old school mickey mouse quick fix! take a tin can cut the top and bottom out then cut it up the middle, take two hose clamps put them on each end until you can get a new pipe! this will work for a short time! I am not saying it is the right way to fix it but it can get you out riding tonight for a few hours!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts