Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to cat,just bought a 1998 powder extreme 600 triple with 480 miles,seems to b great sled,its boggy until about 6000 then rips to life,is this common with this sled ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
New to cat,just bought a 1998 powder extreme 600 triple with 480 miles,seems to b great sled,its boggy until about 6000 then rips to life,is this common with this sled ?

there is few things you can check is your main jets, air fuel ratio mix screw and usually the sled is jetted really fat so you might will have to jet em down , check your clutches, belt alignments, stators going bad?? is from what i have read on this forums other than that i do have 1997 powder extreme! those sleds are wicked fast for its class im impressed that little triple could move with all the weight it had.
then again it doesnt matter much long as you got power to weight ratio!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Check your belt first, put a new cat belt on it or even try a spare, my ZRT 600 hates a worn belt, does the same thing.

A 1998 with 480 miles on it? Man, what a deal!

·
Registered
929 Posts
What do you mean by "boggy"? When I first got mine, it was set up to ride out west at altitude. Meaning the primary had lighter weights (higher clutch engagement) and a more aggressive helix (faster shifting)

One would have to easy onto the throttle and then rapidly back off when things started shifting. Would take off like a rocket!

Previous owner included the "low altitude" weights, helix, gears, and chain. I switched the weights & helix, to the low altitude version, and is perfect for us flatlanders. I left the lower gears because the hole shot is amazing!

Can't go 100mph without over reving. Gotta keep an eye on the tach. But 0-80mph, better hang on!

I don't know the weigh grams or helix numbers off the top of my head. I can check the box, when I get out to the garage, if you like. Bet yours is set up for higher altitude.

Congrats on a great find!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well boggy ,I mean just sluggish till it hits 5500-6000,everything is set for 5000-9000 ft it says on belt guard,I;m riding at 2200 right now,so maybe thats a contributing factor,the belt is new (50 miles) whenever I start out it smells a bit.I read on here about lubricating rollers and bushings,so since I did, it hits 8500 and holds steady so thats all well. Yeh lucked out,an older fellow bought 2 of these new for him and his wife,road them a bit then put them in a shed,so they r like new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts