Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got a question for you all before i decide to start dumping money into the wrong parts. I have a 98 ac 500 and it is not charging the battery which should be the stator?
So to start first i bought the bike and old owner said it needed a new battery. The bike would not stay running with the battery currently in it. So i replaced it with a new one. The bike was running, but not great. It would idle but when rev would back fire and pop and what not. I noticed it was running rich. I rebuilt the carb checked for leaks of any sort and there is none. After the rebuild it was still runnin like a bag of crap and still rich. Now today i noticed the battery is dead again, and will not stay running. Which i believe would be the stator. Now im wondering if the stator being on its way out(not charging the battery) would cause it to run extremely rich and bog and backfire alot. It will start with a jump or pulling the cord but will not stay running

·
Administrator
39,804 Posts
You need a new voltage rectifier/ regulator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need a new voltage rectifier/ regulator.
I just noticed when out messing around with it that 2 of the 3 wires (all black group coming from stator) are burning hot when bike is running. That be caused by the voltage regulator?

·
Administrator
39,804 Posts
Check the voltage at the battery when running. Let us know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the voltage at the battery when running. Let us know.
Ok so finnaly got around to testing while the bike was off. 11.6-11.8. Now with the bike running it would move all over the place from 11.6-12.8ish.

Also noticed the red wire on the plug that plugs into the voltage reg was burnt up. So ill be replacing that. Anyone know what that wire is for?

·
Administrator
39,804 Posts
11.6 is a dead battery.
When it’s running you should up to 14.3.
It’s not charging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
11.6 is a dead battery.
When it’s running you should up to 14.3.
It’s not charging.
So good to assume the stator is shot? Or just the voltage reg?
I dont see how the voltage reg would cause the misfiring sputter and dying out under throttle, running extremely rich etc

·
Administrator
39,804 Posts
VR/rectifier is most likely cause and the cheapest part.
It doesn’t have enough voltage in the battery to give you electrical power to run the coil for example. It’s not burning the fuel completely because of weak spark. .

Reactions: 660catman

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VR/rectifier is most likely cause and the cheapest part.
It doesn’t have enough voltage in the battery to give you electrical power to run the coil for example. It’s not burning the fuel completely because of weak spark. .
So i replaced the voltage regulator, and stator (since old one had some spliced wires.) Anyway gave it a pull start fired up and idled like normal soon as i went to drive it was bogging out and still acting like its flooding out. Noticed the primer/plunger is leaking out that hole in it even when petcock is off. So pulled the fuel line and gas still ever so slowly drips out the line even when in off postition. Could those cause my problem?

·
Administrator
39,804 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the new petcock and primer/plunger does not fix the issue what else could be the issue. I disconnected the fuel line and ran the bike with only the gas that was left in the carb and it still was bogging like it was flooding out. Things driving me crazy to the point i kinda wanna just light a match lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Side note. Added dielectric grease to the connector that slide clips on igniion coil and now cant get the bike to start at all...

·
Administrator
39,804 Posts
It just takes a tiny amount.

Did you check the voltage at the battery ,running, after the new Vr/rectifier install?

Have you completely cleaned your carb ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It just takes a tiny amount.

Did you check the voltage at the battery ,running, after the new Vr/rectifier install?

Have you completely cleaned your carb ?
Maybe i added to much grease? What a pain that would be.
Yes cant remember exact numbers but was up from previously and battery is charging again. If it starts tmr ill get exact numbers at battery while running
I rebuilt the carb with all balls rebuild kit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Side note i put the grease in every new connector plug when i replaced the stator and voltage regulator. Should i clean it out or will it be fine? Just read the stuff can actually prevent proper connection, dont know if thats true or not

·
Administrator
39,804 Posts
That’s why you only use a small amount. If it’s charging it will be fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That’s why you only use a small amount. If it’s charging it will be fine.
Alright well ill clean up the one on the coil see if that brings it back to atleast starting lol, aside from that, im gunna pull the carb and check float level tmr. Still doesnt make sense as to why its acting like its flooding out when fuel line disconnected and running only on the fuel in the carb.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts