Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to look at this machine on Saturday. I am fairly new to ATVs.
apparently it has been exposed to the elements for a number of years - I have no idea of its condition - may not be salvageable.
owner to look for key - it's a one owner - will take tools/battery to his place on Saturday
what are a few things y'all would recommend I inspect before purchase?
any advice is appreciated - and glad there's a community available

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would inspect all fluids for contamination and dirt. For what we know the gasoline is the first to foul, brake fluid can adsorb moister overtime, check oils for water and dirt that may of seeped in. I would also check the rubber lines and hoses for cracks for it can cause a leakage. Not to forget the belt could be in need for a replacement if neglected for a long time, just check for wear, cracks, uneven wear etc...

In my opinion I would do a complete fluid flush onsite before even starting it to insure that all the old fluid is replaced with new fluid for who knows how long the original fluid has been there and if it is even good.

I would also check various nook and crannies for nests and vermin damage that could be done from mice, chipmunks and other rodents that could of been living in the machine. This could include wires, a common spot to find nests are in the air box.

I would also check for leaks underneath the ATV for leaks coming from the engine or diffs. It could just be a leak from an improperly sealed drain plug. Or it could be worse, it could be a brittle gasket that has dissolved and broken apart and letting fluid pass through.

In the end, I wish you good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds fun! I hope it turns out well. Although I agree with Hearty Cat in ideal conditions, you may not be able to get that far into it in his backyard driveway. If I were selling something like a 20+ year old four wheeler, I doubt I'm going to be into someone spending a day in my yard refreshing it before they decide if they want it. Although I'm new to fourwheelers too, I have bought and sold a lot of motorized things over the years. If I were going, I would probably take a few tools and jumper cables or a battery pack and MAYBE some fresh gas and a can of starting fluid. I'd check the oil and turn it over and see if it had spark and compression, and maybe shoot some starting fluid in the carb and see if I could get it to run. Then I'd decide if it was worth the gamble and haggle over price, haul it home and go from there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds fun! I hope it turns out well. Although I agree with Hearty Cat in ideal conditions, you may not be able to get that far into it in his backyard driveway. If I were selling something like a 20+ year old four wheeler, I doubt I'm going to be into someone spending a day in my yard refreshing it before they decide if they want it. Although I'm new to fourwheelers too, I have bought and sold a lot of motorized things over the years. If I were going, I would probably take a few tools and jumper cables or a battery pack and MAYBE some fresh gas and a can of starting fluid. I'd check the oil and turn it over and see if it had spark and compression, and maybe shoot some starting fluid in the carb and see if I could get it to run. Then I'd decide if it was worth the gamble and haggle over price, haul it home and go from there.
great advice guys. I have a charged battery ready and a box of tools - didn't think of gas and starting fluid - good idea.
if I researched that year/model correctly, it weighs like 600 pounds - that oughta be fun - without a winch :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
remaining pics on following entry:
1998 454 miles are at 1360 one owner that used it for deer hunting
-he had it hooked up to a marine battery to charge everything - I tried hooking it up to a charged 12v ATV battery but
nothing turned on - oughta go back with a fully-charged marine battery and see what happens
- no oil on my finger and I stuck it DEEP down - no gas in tank -brake fluid still liquid but brown
-tires: nice tread but cracked on sides - rims look round but rusted
-air box dry but filter turned to dust when I pushed on it
-original carb - I didn't take plastics off to inspect -foot shifter felt good - it cycled through
-pull start didn't catch - nothing locked up
-lotsa rust underneath

thoughts? would you even attempt to restore? what would you pay for it?

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to go back w/ a charged battery - check spark plug for spark - check instrument lights, etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The ATV looks rough. One thing I would look for is if there is any rot or rusty holes throughout the chassis. This can affect the structural strength of the whole ATV. This issue can create a dangerous situation if the chassis were to let go due to rust and rot when you are out riding. If the chassis is solid, the ATV will still need quite a bit of TLC and money. It might be a better idea to buy another cleaner machine with a better history, because you may never know what costly issues you may encounter when restoring this ATV. Since this ATV has sat outside for a number of years, it can just make matters worse since it has been neglected.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed. I may offer him $50 and leave it at that. I don't need the thing. Unsure if it'll roll at all - the rust - and I don't have the training of a neurosurgeon to get the wiring back together. Thank you for the input.

It's a shame he didn't at least cover the thing up.

·
Registered
9,937 Posts
Man this would be a project and a half! Personally I would pass on it being that old and if parts are needed, they can be scarce, non existent of worse, very expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed, 660 - there will be others. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts