Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
Just rent an impact gun. Otherwise you will have to buy the cat clutch holding tool$$$

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Replaced the clutch shoes and its definitely moves better and drives around but I'm having a problem it only wants to go 25mph it seems like a governor

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
Check the diodes in your fuse box. They need to face the same direction as indicated on the fuse box.

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
Did you turn them? It could also be a bad diode. Do you have a reverse over ride switch?

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
To be honest I'm not sure. Where would I look for the reverse switch and I'll test the diodes too.
Shouldn’t be a reverse override on a manual ATV. Don’t think diodes we’re used either back then?

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
What type of oil have you been running? Does it seem like it revs too high and slips?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Shouldn’t be a reverse override on a manual ATV. Don’t think diodes we’re used either back then?
It has a fuse box under the back right fender with a few fuses and some relays? (Little black box that plugs in) I turned one around that was backwards but it didnt help.

·
Administrator
35,728 Posts
God catch missed that.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
I really think your clutches in the clutch pack are done too. This is why I asked what oil has been used because if wet clutch approved oil was not used, you've ruined them too. C-note noted that in post 16 about the oil deposits baked on and appearing to slip badly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I dont think it's that because everything works fine until about 26mph then it just acts like its topping out. It has more throttle but it does nothing.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
So is this the reason you adjusted clutch in the first place? Does it rev higher in neutral? What does it do at 26 mph and you give it throttle? Feels like it’s cutting out, revs more but doesn’t go anywhere, or nothing different?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I adjusted it because it wouldn't really move at all but I found out the centrifugal clutch shoes were worn out so I got that fixed and now it drives but once it gets to 26mph it like makes a clacking noise almost but just like a governor would sound. I can ride around half throttle at 26mph but anything over half starts to act up

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
So I’ll ask again, does it rev higher in neutral or does it act the same? Test voltage at battery at idle and at higher rpms in neutral. Do readings change with lights on then lights off? Let us know readings. I want to rule out voltage regulator and maybe move on the possible carb issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Haven't got around to test the voltages but I was trying to diagnose it myself earlier and it goes 26mph tops speed in 5th gear then once you try to rev it over half throttle it just dies down a little and almost makes like a clapping noise?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts