Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to a some more power out of this motor and i was wondering if i added a gasket and machined a couple 1000th of an inch off the head if it make a big difference. The motor will be running with a set of twin pipes.
Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks

D

·
5,963 Posts
In all honesty, they are great runners. you can Drop some Coin on twin Pipes but im not a fan for the 440. Finding Mods will be hard as it was a race sled. Make sure to Run Quality Fuel. As for taking some off the head. I wouldn't these sleds set up right will Run faster than you will ever need to Go. I would make sure that the Clutches are clean and Carbs are clean.

·
5,963 Posts
20*? greg, Or was it 18

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
20 degree is what my race manual says. Thats where mine is set. 18 would be retarded I think right 90 degrees is straight up so the closer to 90 would be advanced correct?? higher octane fuel burns slower so you can squeeze it more before it explodes in the combustion chamber. lower octane fuel explodes sooner you have to retard the timing to keep it from pre igniton. People think higher octane is more explosive but its not. You light a match to it. It wont flare up like regular and burn your eye brows off.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Best advice is put twins pipes on it if you can find them. Or just buy a bigger sled. For the amount of money your going to stick into the sled to get it to go. You can buy a 800 or 900 zr. dont get me wrong I love my 440 its my fav sled of all time. It is what it is a 440. You can get horse power out of that little motor but you also dont have a engine thats going to last. You have to spin high RPM to get horse power out of it. You can clutch a little some people on here like Cnote and JeffH have written tons of stuff on the zr440 theres a whole thread on it. My best advice is ride it the way it is and do a little clutch work, buy twins or buy a bigger sled. Sure you can shave the head and do other things for the money its not worth it. Its your sled its your money. I am just being honsest. The sleds ran great stock they had 90 some horse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.