Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have this problem again after riding about 5 miles sled does not sound good a little (blubery) and wont rev up on clutchs when getting hot, seems to me that it is a fuel problem installed updates in carb, needle jet tube from p4 to p6 and main jet to 330 in not sure if i should go down more on the main or look at something else like ignition or coil?? bad clutch springs i just dont no.......

sled also has new pistons and rings with maybe 75 miles total. compression check 120 and 122 on cylinders, clutch has new weights and rollers are fine, secondary appears to be ok and shimmed correctly?belt is up a little above secodary, new plugs b9es with nology wires run premium fuel. were do think i should look now i love this machine when it is right............

·
Registered
5 Posts
have you tried a new or a known good used stator. I had this same sympton on my two thundercats one would only idle and the other would rev up a little and barely engage the clutches.
will your sled rev and pull itself?

·
5,963 Posts
What are you doing for the Break in? Blubbery tells me rich. But 75 miles on a fresh TopEnd its hard to tell what it could be.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(break in) i took it easy for while ran a little pre mix thru it, new fuelin it now rejetted it monday because it was real doggy sunday had 350s in it now 330 quick test monday night seemed ok but only put a couple miles on. now tonight went for a ride it was running like it should and had to turn around just started blubbering up high did not want to walk out of the woods. made it home and pulled plugs they were not brown the just looked new maybe a little wet?? tops of pistons look a little black in the center like burned oil. boy when it is right it is a rocket.. that why i dont under stand it runs good after warming up and then turns to sht.........

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would start with fuel intake. fuel pump, filter, vac line. make sure both carbs are getting gas.

The ZR 440 is finally available off the racetrack

It's no wonder SnoWest named the ZR 440 the 1997 Race Sled of the Year. This lean and green, race track chomping machine is the ultimate in racing perfection -- any time, any where, the ZR 440 stands alone. You know it, that's why you've been asking for it, and now Arctic Cat is releasing the ZR 440 to the general public. This is a machine bred for the racetrack, it lives and breathes speed, power, and victory. The ZR 440 is the racing sled of Champions Kirk Hibbert and Brad Pake. And, just as Kirk and Brad have got the competition cringing in terror, the ZR 440 has got them running with fear.
Under the lightweight, aerodynamic hood of the ZR is a 437cc liquid-cooled twin that, with a touch of the throttle, is like letting 90 horses charge wild. A case-reed inducted motor, seven-port Nicasil cylinders and new Arctco drive clutch means engine technology at its finest. And the ZR 440's suspension is so smooth it could be a pick-up line. Up front, the ZR 440 sports the all new aluminum bulkhead AWS V chassis with double-wishbone chromoly A-arms, progressive rate springs and Ryde FX gas shocks -- a total travel of 8.2-inches. And in the back, our revolutionary FasTrack Long Travel suspension System has redefined rear suspension forever. The FasTrack slide-rail system and new torque sensing link have 13.5-inches of rear axle travel -- it sneers at the most gruesome moguls. The ZR 440 is top-of-the-line in power and maneuverability. And its performance: Can you say "bye-bye?" The ZR 440 is a racing sled, so handle with caution, performance this great is highly contagious.
You'll turn heads dusting the trail on a bright green ZR 440. But a sled this masterful deserves to be stared at. Hop on the new 1997 ZR 440 from Arctic Cat and you won't be the only one turning green.
Suggested Retail Price: $ (US)

·
5,963 Posts
Im glad you can Copy and Paste. How about you tell us some real info I dunno

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya really there is only a month left in the season i would really like to fix this problem, do you no how to check coil? complete fuel system brand new ac parts tank to carbs...

·
Registered
5 Posts
ya really there is only a month left in the season i would really like to fix this problem, do you no how to check coil? complete fuel system brand new ac parts tank to carbs...
I think your ignition system is not burning the fuel all the way. The spark plug coils hardely ever go bad. The stator coils behind the flywheel get a small break in them and you lose the proper current going to the plug wires (WEAK SPARK) then the fuel does not burn completely. when the engine is cold the stator makes good connection again and it may run good for 2 miles or 500 miles, but then it seperates again due to heat and vibration. I have had this happen to me 3 times with 3 different sleds 1997 ZL440, 1997 thundercat and a 1998 thundercat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i cant believe it is running good again i changed both plugs and it works great i never had that happen that both were junk. road about 50 hard miles 3/4 tank of fuel to try to break it and still running perfect again.

Rockerdude

until next week................:angry:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep looking at rejetting the bottom pilot that is were i am having some issues. warming it up smokes alot and try to clean it up gets real boggy i hit the fields and the plugs are dead everytime. after inital warm up good all day long. so i am thinking pilot jet for now...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I still have my 97 zr 440, got it in 98. It always was tuff on plugs. I ran it with black magic twins(a bit loud), reeds, clutch kits and studs. If the temp gets around 30, 330 would be a little rich. I always kept 290,300,320, jet wrench and plugs in the tool box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts