Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of anywhere I can find any performance exhaust pipes/cans for my 1997 ZR 440? I've been looking all over, can't seem to find anything for it. Anybody know of a "for sure" place or site that has anything?

·
Registered
512 Posts
the stock set up on the 97 zr is really pulling just about he most power you can, mod the carbs and air box, leave the pipe alone, as that will not get you to make more power, only more noise

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright thanks for the info, I guess if it is putting out good power with the exhaust setup it has I won't bother with the aftermarket pipes/can then.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
blackmagic and D&D made pipes for the 440 back in the day. You can try D&D racing see if they still offer new pipes. Blackmagic is no longer in business so finding new ones is out of the question. Try Ebay they are on there from time to time. There hard to find twin pipes for the 440. I have set I will never sell. Or you call Aaen performance they will make pipes for anything. but you going to pay $$. When pipes do come up for sale they go for around $300- $350 for a set.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I put BM pipes on my 97 zr440 in 1998. They are great for performance if you keep up on the clutches 7200-9200 RPM. They are way more touchy when it comes to jetting. You would have to jet for every 10-20 degree temp change. And a good supply of ear plugs.
I would be willing to part with my set.
very loud!!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I put BM pipes on my 97 zr440 in 1998. They are great for performance if you keep up on the clutches 7200-9200 RPM. They are way more touchy when it comes to jetting. You would have to jet for every 10-20 degree temp change. And a good supply of ear plugs.
I would be willing to part with my set.
very loud!!
I see your from spring valley. Did you get your set from Vaith?? Thats where I got my first set I played with. Got them when they first came out. Clutching was really goofy on them. It would drop off the pipe if you got in soft snow but hard packed it would go like gang busters. The set i got now runs great yes jetting is a issue when the temp gets warm. I rather be rich then lean. I am running 330's If I remember. Go any lower scares me because there so touchy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I see your from spring valley. Did you get your set from Vaith?? Thats where I got my first set I played with. Got them when they first came out. Clutching was really goofy on them. It would drop off the pipe if you got in soft snow but hard packed it would go like gang busters. The set i got now runs great yes jetting is a issue when the temp gets warm. I rather be rich then lean. I am running 330's If I remember. Go any lower scares me because there so touchy.
Yes I got my seld and pipes from Greg Vaith. He had to lighten up the 44 gram weights that were used. 330's is were I ran it most of the time I also kept 340 and 320 in tool box just in case.
Greg was GREAT. I still buy all of my parts from his son Jason.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Yes I got my seld and pipes from Greg Vaith. He had to lighten up the 44 gram weights that were used. 330's is were I ran it most of the time I also kept 340 and 320 in tool box just in case.
Greg was GREAT. I still buy all of my parts from his son Jason.
I still get stuff from Jason.
Yes Greg was a great guy He taught me alot of things about the mid 90 cats. Use to go down about 1 time a week before work pick up parts and BS with him with him for a few hours. He would teach me the tricks of the trade. Tell me what was coming out.
Yeah mine where lightend up also ground the tips on the bottom. 46 gram weights down to 42. I had the first set of pipes he sold at one time. He had a set on his purple zr 440 and I had a set I put on a friends. Then a couple years later I picked up a set on a snowmobile website. Not long before he passed I picked his brain on what needs to be done to them. I have it written in a note book. Since mine was in a box of parts for along time. I redid everything ran it for a few years then the base gasket leaked all the anti freeze out and burned it down. When I had it running it ran great beat alot of 600's with it. Even with me on it. I just picked up a 650 wildcat that says VSS racing on it. Pulled the carbs and twin aftermarket pipes and someone was in there playing with the ports everything has been hogged outClap. The clutch had custom ground weights different size drivers thens stock. It goes like a gang buster. I wonder if it was one of his sleds at one time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts