Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 1997 arctic cat zl is still bogging low end after cleaning the carbs and changing the coil and the spark plugs. I was told it could be theCDI box, or what else could be the problem? Does anyone know how much these CDI boxes cost? Also, I'm not sure if it's a ZR or a ZL engine in my sled. The body is a ZL with a ZR hood, and I'm pretty sure the engine was changed from the ZL to the ZR and all the clutches were changed too. How would I tell what engine it has in it? It engages at 5500 RPM if that helps. I think it has a clutch kit in it?! How would I find out if it does? Because if it doesn't I'm going to buy one from D&D. And, does anyone know where I can get a can for the exhaust? Do they even exist? Sorry, I'm not a mechanic at all. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
515 Posts
If it's running it wont be a cdi problem. When you cleaned the carbs did you remove the jets and make sure hole was not plugged? I always gently push a fine piece of wire through hole. Often hole is slightly plugged making a lot smaller than it's suppose to be. Also check that your choke seat all the way down and are not sticking.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well the ZR engine (if you are talking about a 97 ZR 440 engine), the most noticeable thing would be case reed induction. The ZL engine is cylinder reed design meaning the carbs are mounted on the cylinders themselves. The ZR, being Case Reed inducted, has the carbs mounted down leading into the crankcase.

Also the ZR had a different airbox setup, the style that all machines took with the toolbox built in up top.

Judging by your engagement RPMs of 5500, it sounds like it has the ZR engine and clutch set up. The ZR engages stock at about 5 grand, alot of people clutch them to engage around 5500 to give them a bit more punch off the line. The ZL would have a considerably lower engagement speed, probably in the high 3000 RPM range.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I might be way off base, but did you check to see if the belt is riding low in the secondary clutch? If it is, it will be very poochy on the bottom end, kinda like you are starting out in 2nd gear. If your belt is worn, it will sit low. The top of the belt should sit roughly flush with the top of the clutch sheaves. And just for reference, my ZL440 has stock clutch springs, but I'm not sure if the weights and helix are stock, and it engages at 4800 rpm.

-Bryan

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Not 100% sure on this sled but if it boggs right off idle it could be the throttle positioning sensor. (tps). Does it still do it if you hold (up) on the throttle while gassing it?

·
Registered
523 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OrangeZL440 @ Jan 12 2007, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I might be way off base, but did you check to see if the belt is riding low in the secondary clutch? If it is, it will be very poochy on the bottom end, kinda like you are starting out in 2nd gear. If your belt is worn, it will sit low. The top of the belt should sit roughly flush with the top of the clutch sheaves. And just for reference, my ZL440 has stock clutch springs, but I'm not sure if the weights and helix are stock, and it engages at 4800 rpm.

-Bryan[/b]

Wow 4800?! That seems a bit high for the ZL, I know those things run the wonderful 440LC engine that was found in the Prowler...my old Prowler used to engage pretty low, in the 3500-3800 range if I remember correctly.

Thundercat is right, the CDI box doesnt work crummy...it either works correctly or it doesnt work at all - no inbetween.

Try disconnecting the TPS on the handlebars like tcat said, my 97 ZR 440 had a bad low end bog and a backfire now and then when that little switch went south, I disconnected it and it ran fine!

With the TPS it wasnt a steady bog either, only like on-off-on throttle postions under like 40% throttle would it bog. If I chopped it right to the bar it wouldnt bog. But in the tight slow stuff, oh man bog city. Try it out, you can always plug it back in if its not it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts