Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,747 Posts
Make sure get one with twin carbs and wilwood hydraulic brake on it. The earlier ones were geared as the entry level race sled for the jr class. In the early 2000s they turned it into the value sled when they came out with the z sno pro. The standard z 440 engines have always been reliable.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure get one with twin carbs and wilwood hydraulic brake on it. The earlier ones were geared as the entry level race sled for the jr class. In the early 2000s they turned it into the value sled when they came out with the z sno pro. The standard z 440 engines have always been reliable.
So, you are saying go with the 1997-1999?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is a 96 and it has been rock solid. 22000 miles and it has never been apart. As said before, the wilwood brake, twin carbs and better exhaust were noticeable improvements over the jag 440.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Search the links here for the Z440, I don't recall which model(s) are nearly impossible to find pistons for but study up on that. Maybe others can chime in....
Yeah, the 1999 440 is the one to avoid.

So, I have settled on the 1998. I like the style, and I have many spare parts that will fit this year. Now I just have to find one that is worth my hard -earned money!

·
Super Moderator
8,747 Posts
Search the links here for the Z440, I don't recall which model(s) are nearly impossible to find pistons for but study up on that. Maybe others can chime in....
It’s only the sno pros that are hard to find pistons for but that issue will be solved soon. The standard 440 fan has tons of aftermarket pistons available

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s only the sno pros that are hard to find pistons for but that issue will be solved soon. The standard 440 fan has tons of aftermarket pistons availabl

In 1999, the Z and Z snow pro shared the same engine. I checked Country cat to confirm. One year only engine [by part # at least.] The 1998 Z 440 engine was shared [except 1999 of coarse] with 2000-2002.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts