Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I want you to know that I have very little experience with sleds. I bought a 1996 ZR580 EFI in the summer of 1995. This is the first sled I ever owned, let alone worked on. It ran fine the first winter I owned it. In fact, I bought it with a newly rebuilt engine and a brand new clutch. The engine had less than 15 miles on it when I bought it. I live in Erie, Pa and these last two winters have been very weak when it comes to snow. So basically, my sled sits more than anything. Every time I try to start it, I plan on a four hour cursing episode. So far this year (since last month), I drained and dried all the water out of the cylinders just to get it to want to start. I think the water may be getting into the air box somehow. I also pulled out and unfroze the fuel pump and drained out the gas along with large chunks of ice. And with a new battery and spark plugs I finally got her running. I now have the sled along with my dad's 580EXT EFI, also a 1996 (only by coincidence), in my nice warm garage. I realize that these older sleds need a little TLC and have no problem with that. So now I think I may be having the kill switch problem where it bogs down when I punch the throttle. I read a solution for the 97 and newer sleds where you can just unplug the TSS/Kill switch harness and see if that may be your problem. I tried unplugging the TSS/Kill switch harness, but the fuel pump is powered up by this switch. Anyway to bypass the kill switch without unplugging the fuel pump? I would appreciate any input on the subject. Thanks! Rockerdude

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
You could check with a dealer near you to see what color wires run the kill switch and then put some electical tape on the one male end connector and replug it in and see if this helps your problem.

Also does it cut out when you turn mostly to the left or right side. If so lift up on the throttle when you turn as this will over come the washers in the throttle lever. Sometimes they wear out and need to be replaced. Also check your throttle cable. It should have enough clearance to put a credit card between the throttle and the stop on the bars before the cable starts to move the carb linkage.

Let us know. I'm sure someone on here can help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts