Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a limited build? I'm only looking at pics of one for sale. It's say ETT on the tunnel but it doesn't look like it has the TSL. It has a remote shock adjuster in front of the handlebars.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The '96 ZR was the first model with ETT and AWS-V and aluminum bluklhead front end.

These were all race sleds sold to racers, not to consumers.

They had the first case reed engines too with 38mm carbs. The '97 was the racer too but was also marketed to consumers, it had the same engine as the '96 with 34mm carbs and a different pipe. The '97 came on-line with the TSL, the '96's didn't have it.

I have a '97, you may find that parts may be easier to come by for the '97 & '98 consumer ZR (that one was basically a '97 with the new ZR2 hood, belly pan, gas tank and seat) than the '96's but there are parts out there.
(The '98 & '99 race sleds had the ZR1 hood, etc and the engines came out with non cable operated power valves, and then they were called "ZR 440 SnoPro")

(I don't know what the '96 was rated at, the 97' & '98 consumer were 90HP, I think the '98SnoPro was 100HP and the '99SnoPro was 105HP - these SnoPro models also had some weight reduction mods from the factory, like plastic tails where the upward ETT tunnel was, different rear bumpers, different airboxes, the hoods were produced with thinner material than prior years, they may even have come pre-mix only-no oil injection I'm not sure of that, etc, etc)

Check it out good if you go look at it, every '96 ZR440 was likely raced at some time!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 96 ZR was the first model with ETT and AWS-V and aluminum bluklhead front end.

These were all race sleds sold to racers, not to consumers.

They had the first case reed engines too with 38mm carbs. The 97 was the racer too but was also marketed to consumers, it had the same engine as the 96 with 34mm carbs and a different pipe. The '97 came on-line with the TSL, the 96's didn't have it.

I have a '97, you may find that parts may be easier to come by for the '97 & '98 consumer ZR (that one was basically a '97 with the new ZR2 hood, belly pan, gas tank and seat) than the 96's but there are parts out there.
(The 98 & 99 race sleds had the ZR1 hood, etc and the engines came out with non cable operated power valves, they were then called "ZR 440 SnoPro")
You're a wealth of knowledge with the 440s. So any advantage to a 96 over a 97 or stick with a 97 if someone preferred the old styling and the 98 for new? Does the 98 have increased front suspension travel with the ZR2 styling?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I've seen some nice '96's on CL in the Mpls area, if the one you are looking at isn't beat to S*** I think you'd like it. There are liekly more '97's out there. The '98 consumers are very few and far between. (I found one here on CL, it was like NEW, my buddy bought it - he already has one too...that's how much we like these little pocket-rockets! My brother has a F6 and a '97 ZR440 too.)

There may have been some differences in the SnoPro models too regarding the ski stance and front travel. The '96, '97 & '98 consumer had 41-inch ski stance to conform to the race reg's then. The '98 front travel is the same as the '96 & '97.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So here is the burning question (for me anyway). Will I be any further ahead with a ZR440 over the ZR580 EFI I just sold?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Very similar sleds, the 440 is a tad lighter and is 90HP, the 580 is 97HP. Your 580 had the steel bulkhead and AWS-IV front suspension and the shocks may have been valved a bit lighter too.

If your 580 was older than '97, you had 8-inches of travel in the rear, '97 and on you got the ETT with 13.5 inches (sorry, I don;t know what the translation in metric is for you! HA!) and likely had steel skiis.

If you like the ZR-1, these have great suspension and handling!

Pic of mine and my brothers.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
What kind of price are they asking? Here, there are about ten or twelve 96/97/98's on the Mpls/St. Paul Craigslist...going for $900-$1500 US

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If it matters to you, check with your insurance...the 440 may be cheaper than insuring a larger cc machine too. Gas and oil consumption would likely be around the same, although the 440's require 92 octane fuel, so you'll be paying more at the pump than your 580 I suspect!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 580 was a 96 with the ETT, TSL, AWS IV and batteryless EFI. So likely not a huge difference between it and the 440. I'm starting to wonder why I sold it..lol

Do all ZR440s need 92 octane?

Price are all over the map in my area on all sleds. It is utterly ridiculous what some guy are trying to sell 15 yr old sleds for. Go to Free Kijiji Canada Classifieds | Free Ads | Petites Annonces Gratuites and search the Ontario Snowmobile listings. Do a search for Arctic or cat or ZR. You'll be floored by what you see.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'll check it out!

Neither my Bro nor I have even ridden our F6's in two years! (Mostly becuase the winters have sucked around here lately) But, this year we decided just ride the 440's. I really, really like this sled!

If you grab that '96 and you don't like, you'll be selling it and looking again next year!

Some of the other 440 guys might have to chime in on that '96 and 92-octane, but I think they probably do need it!?!?

·
Super Moderator
8,442 Posts
the 97 with the timing cranked back up where it should be with 91 octane and it will eat a 580. The suspension is much better in the 440.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yikes! A '97 on that website for $3300.00! Whew!

What GregB. said!

Pelle is one of the SnoPro Gurus...maybe he'll chime in here for you on those!

·
5,963 Posts
A SnoPro is Not Really a Pull and Go. But, Running Good. Hang on. The Main Difference Between the 97 Zr440 (Not a SnoPro) and the 98/99 SnoPro is the Power valves. The Bottom end Hit is so much Harder. A 97 that did NOT have the Timing recall Has to run 91 Oct. Im not a guru on the SnoPros :lol:

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The 96 and 97 motors were the same with the exception of the timing and I believe the power chambers were slightly different. My kid has a 96 with ett tunnel. The tsl should give a little more traction due the torque sensing link. That 96 is a fun sled to ride and yes his did have the adjustable front arm shock.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yikes! A '97 on that website for $3300.00! Whew!

What GregB. said!

Pelle is one of the SnoPro Gurus...maybe he'll chime in here for you on those!
Yeah the prices that people are asking are just insane. I honestly don't know what some guys are thinking. Especially considering it's the end of the season. Prices are higher in Canada then the US for the most part but not that much higher.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 96 and 97 motors were the same with the exception of the timing and I believe the power chambers were slightly different. My kid has a 96 with ett tunnel. The tsl should give a little more traction due the torque sensing link. That 96 is a fun sled to ride and yes his did have the adjustable front arm shock.
Could a skid with the TSL be swapped right into a 96 with the ETT?

How would a guy know what timing the motor is set at?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The 97 had the timing issue. I am not sure about the skid swap, but I would guess that it would have to be plated like the conventional swap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts