Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my newly acquired mint condition '80 Everest 464LC refused to turn more than 5200 RPM , I thought it might like a bit of carb cleaning . With Factory service manual, new bowl gaskets , tubing , needle e-clips , and benchmark carb settings handy I dove right in. Removing the oil tank and air box gave me easy access for maintenance, and revealed metal spray on the secondary clutch and a palmful of shiny balls at the bottom of the bay . Grenaded jackshaft bearing . Neither the clutch stuck on one end or the chaincase stuck on the track drive shaft splines is insurmountable . Only 7 weeks of winter to go tilted my brain tho.2 weeks of holidays and a fresh SnoPass.
This week i'm the owner of a '96 ZR 580 ( carbed) . Well loved by the previous owner( a thousand dollar bill and skilled pro tech into it Dec 20/06) , with 300km of top overhaul break-in , its seems a good fit for my butt. WTH i've even got 3 gallons of the same oil (Shell Advance ) as what's in it .
And in theory it needs nothing. Add snow and a driver.
I trailered it home yesterday , and today I feel like i'm armed with ignorance.

Any sage advice on good cold and hot start procedures ? would be appreciated as -20 or -25 is the norm this week . Top of my wish list is a good used operator's manual and shop manual or FSM if any of ya good folks have outgrown such things or sold a sled.
Barter /cash / donation , whatever ya like .

I'm in Winnipeg,MB and consider myself a novice on type . Looking forward to a few opinions on the ZR experience .

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply , guy . The common sense behind your technique is all good to me. I hope to get out Yorkton / Kamsack area for holiday time and explore what the clubs are doing and spend time with friends. Tubing too.
Does Blairmorganville have a warmup shack ? I'll bet the Doos smell like strawberries there.

Well the snow is always whiter on the other side of the fence, eh?!! Thank you for helping me along my way . Now I can ditch bang with the best of ém > HeeeHawwawwWW!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all:
I've returned from a week in Asessippi in Manitoba , family holiday. -40celsius for overnight low all week . Good powder base and fun scenic sledding . Using 94 ZR580's recipe with a couple of ignition off tugs to get things moving , one pull full choke starts every day in -40 c cold soaked . One pull no choke hot starts . Hi Idle speed though until fully warmed up. This temp was at the pour point limit for the Shell Advance oil .
At -40c and above ran good and made good power . Installed new iridium NGK plugs , (as gapped by NGK)
The ArtCo belt did not like deep powder gave 4800+ RPM engagement. A replacement Goodyear belt brought the RPM down and did not slip or shudder.
At -8c it needed little choke and a touch of throttle till 30 seconds of run time passed .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts