Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my newly acquired mint condition '80 Everest 464LC refused to turn more than 5200 RPM , I thought it might like a bit of carb cleaning . With Factory service manual, new bowl gaskets , tubing , needle e-clips , and benchmark carb settings handy I dove right in. Removing the oil tank and air box gave me easy access for maintenance, and revealed metal spray on the secondary clutch and a palmful of shiny balls at the bottom of the bay . Grenaded jackshaft bearing . Neither the clutch stuck on one end or the chaincase stuck on the track drive shaft splines is insurmountable . Only 7 weeks of winter to go tilted my brain tho.2 weeks of holidays and a fresh SnoPass.
This week i'm the owner of a '96 ZR 580 ( carbed) . Well loved by the previous owner( a thousand dollar bill and skilled pro tech into it Dec 20/06) , with 300km of top overhaul break-in , its seems a good fit for my butt. WTH i've even got 3 gallons of the same oil (Shell Advance ) as what's in it .
And in theory it needs nothing. Add snow and a driver.
I trailered it home yesterday , and today I feel like i'm armed with ignorance.

Any sage advice on good cold and hot start procedures ? would be appreciated as -20 or -25 is the norm this week . Top of my wish list is a good used operator's manual and shop manual or FSM if any of ya good folks have outgrown such things or sold a sled.
Barter /cash / donation , whatever ya like .

I'm in Winnipeg,MB and consider myself a novice on type . Looking forward to a few opinions on the ZR experience .

Attachments

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
You should be able to get an Owner's Manual from Cat for not cost. You have to write to them and request an Owner's Manual and it must be by snail mail. If the carbs are properly tuned it should only take a few pulls to get it started. Cold starts should require full choke. Before attempting to start th enegine you should squeeze the throttle a few times to make sure the carb slides are operating and it is always good to open the hood and see if the oil pump lever moves as the trottle is depressed. Pull the engine over slowly before turning on the ingition to loosen it up and avoid pulling your arm out of the socket if it is heavy, or stuck. Full choke and a good fast pull or two should have the engine running. You should get ti down to half choke very shortly after starting, and time on half choke will vary with how cold it is. Hot starts should be a slight tug on the rope to get it going again. If you flood it, or if the jetting is too rich, then you'll be in for lots of pulling, and make sure you have extra clean, dry spark plugs on hand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply , guy . The common sense behind your technique is all good to me. I hope to get out Yorkton / Kamsack area for holiday time and explore what the clubs are doing and spend time with friends. Tubing too.
Does Blairmorganville have a warmup shack ? I'll bet the Doos smell like strawberries there.

Well the snow is always whiter on the other side of the fence, eh?!! Thank you for helping me along my way . Now I can ditch bang with the best of ém > HeeeHawwawwWW!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cat 4 Life @ Jan 29 2007, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well unless that's a different hood on that machine it's a 1995...........we had a 1996 ZR 580 and it had different hood decals. Check your serial number.[/b]

You beat me to it. I had a 1995 ZR700 with the same decals. It is either a 96 with 95 decals or a it is a 95. I'm guessing it is a 95. Good sleds though!!! You will love it. They handle great, and run darn good for how old they are getting.

Enjoy,
Dean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all:
I've returned from a week in Asessippi in Manitoba , family holiday. -40celsius for overnight low all week . Good powder base and fun scenic sledding . Using 94 ZR580's recipe with a couple of ignition off tugs to get things moving , one pull full choke starts every day in -40 c cold soaked . One pull no choke hot starts . Hi Idle speed though until fully warmed up. This temp was at the pour point limit for the Shell Advance oil .
At -40c and above ran good and made good power . Installed new iridium NGK plugs , (as gapped by NGK)
The ArtCo belt did not like deep powder gave 4800+ RPM engagement. A replacement Goodyear belt brought the RPM down and did not slip or shudder.
At -8c it needed little choke and a touch of throttle till 30 seconds of run time passed .

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Good to hear that everything worked well for you. The 4800 RPM engagement is about right where you want it. I hope you got the 010 Cat belt and I don't under stand what you mean by the Cat belt not liking the powder. The Goodyear belt may be wider than spec, and the Cat belt, which would lead to lower engagement, but riding in temps as cold as you did can be very hard on belts. Some people will bring the belt inside over night, so they have a warm, flexible belt, when they start. You always want to wram up the belt and track, as well as the engine, before riding. IF the jetting was safe at -40C you would have been running quite fat at -8C, so I'm surprised you had to choke it more at idle when it was so rich. The reason you had to feather the throttle was because it was flooding and it needed more air.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts