Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 ZR 580 EFI. I recently had my stator rebuilt through stator corp. Got the stator back and tested it and both tests were right on the money.

I reinstalled the stator, hooked everything up, pulled the cord and nothing. Still no spark. We moved the connections around and all of a sudden we had spark. We continued to jiggle the wires and connections and we would get off and on spark.

We jumped every wire all wires seemed to be fine. We cleaned the connections and jumped them and we got good readings on all of them.

Does this sound like the CDI could be bad. I don't have a spare to test with and was hoping to not put too much more money into the sled, but I guess I'll do what I have to do.

Anybody got any solutions.

Thanks

P.S. Send snow!! Northwest Ohio

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
A couple guesses, you could have a wire broken under the insulation somewhere, check your ground eyelets. Is your throttle safety switch bypassed? or out of adjustment causing this problem?

I would doubt it's your CDI or you'd have no spark ever.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Kev is right, the CDI either works or it doesnt...if its shot it wont spark at all, it wont give random spark issues like you have described.

I would check the coil personally, that could defiantly be causing an issue like you have described.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We cheched the coil when were were going thru test to determine if the stator was bad and it seemed to be fine then. It is encouraging to here that it the CDI may still be good though. Any other suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems to be running now. It appears one of the wire connections on the timing sensor was bad. It seems to be running good on the grass now. Hopefully that is all it was. Would somebody please send some snow now so I could really test it out. Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts