Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 1996 Cougars. They both engage at 3,000 rpm's but my wifes slips into it more than mine. The belt looks fine, so I am just wondering if there is some adjustment on the clutch I can do to make it so it grabs a little firmer like mine.

I imagine there is some type of adjustment for it, but if you could also give me some indication of when it is shot, like....does it just not move at all and that is how you know, or when it starts slipping (again, not badly....and not that I can notice at high speeds) is that the beginning of the end of the life of the clutch? I just don't want to get out on the trail next year and all of a sudden I am towing it back to the barn.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bruce,
There really isn't an "actual" adjustment to make. that is done by putting different weights and springs in it.
How many miles on the clutch? Have you ever serviced it before? If not it's probably shot!
Biggest thing is check the weights where the bolt goes thru the bushing in the weight.They wear out and make the weight rub on the inside part of the clutch and will ruin it. Also check the rollers for wear. The best thing to do is take it apart and give a good look over.

Eric

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has 2400 miles on it, which I don't know if that is a lot or not. From what I am seeing, it seems like anything over 2200 seems to be where people start to make repairs.

Bruce

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.