Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im kinda new here but i was wondering if you guys had any advice on what kind of clutch kit I should buy for my 95 zrt 800 I just bought it a few weeks ago and it came with one on it but the clutch sticks and can some times cause some serious lack of performance, ill take advice on that too if you think i would be better off trying to fix the one ive got, when i say it sticks i mean it doesnt engage with out a good deal of throttle and when it does its either full on or half on no in betweens and it some times wont go all the way back out. any way any advice you have i would really be glad to hear thanks a lot!

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
You could check with D & D or Black Magic if you want a kit or the guys here will set you up right.
My stepson has had good luck with around 60-62 gram in the primary with a orange 170/305 D & D spring, with a 60-40 helix and try I think a D & D secondary spring in the middle hole.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Sounds like you need to either rebuild or replace the clutch if it sticks, how many miles on the sled? Alot of clutch kits are set up to engage at higher Rpm's to give you a better hole shot. From your description, it sounds like the clutch weight bushings are beyond shot, and hanging up on the clutch towers, if this is the case, go on ebay and get new clutch for $230.00 or a used one for around $100.00, and put in the right weights and springs. I have never had a ZRT800, only a 96 ZRT600 so I don't remember the spec's, someone on here should be able to point you in the right direction. Go with weight's, springs and helix's that are stock parts and will cost less than buying a kit. My .02

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
This could be the bushings in the moving clutch half. They can be pressed out and press new ones in. The cost is very minimal for the bushings and is alot cheaper than purchasing another clutch. Also make sure the surface that the bushings are riding on are clean and smooth. If not clean it with steel wool and clean very very well when your done polishing it. It is possible that this maybe all you need to do now. Take it apart and put it back together without the spring and see just how much rock is in it. (free play) See if it binds when you slide it back and forth. This will tell you if the bushings are shot. I've done a few of them. If the movable sheve moves alot(rocks back and forth) then this is probly your problem. This causes it to bind instead of sliding. There is a clearance for this but I can't find it now. I'm sure arctic cat would know.

·
Registered
479 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Autowolf @ Jan 3 2007, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey im kinda new here but i was wondering if you guys had any advice on what kind of clutch kit I should buy for my 95 zrt 800 I just bought it a few weeks ago and it came with one on it but the clutch sticks and can some times cause some serious lack of performance, ill take advice on that too if you think i would be better off trying to fix the one ive got, when i say it sticks i mean it doesnt engage with out a good deal of throttle and when it does its either full on or half on no in betweens and it some times wont go all the way back out. any way any advice you have i would really be glad to hear thanks a lot![/b]
ZRT 800 CLUTCH
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ARCTIC-CAT-...071379936QQrdZ1

98 ZRT 800 Clutch Kit
http://www.ddracing.com/03-show_item.asp?ID=213

good to go. now hurry up. Cold and snow will come.(soon?) Not worthy: Not worthy:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well another thing thats happening is that little bars that slide on to the teeth right at the top and bottom of the clutch is getting stuck like its jammed by somthing I did blow a belt before it got this bad but i was really careful to get all the left overs out of the clutch so maybe its corrosion the sled had almost 6500 miles on it and when i got it, it had a comet clutch on it already but i have no idea how long its been on there the thing not engaging until 4-4.5k doesnt bother me as much as the fact that when it doesnt push out its
still trying to spin the track so when i come to a stop it kills the sled then i have to yank on the belt to loosen it up just so i can turn it over because the track still wants to spin.

Thanks a lot for the advice ill look into the kits and or parts you guys suggested

1 - 7 of 7 Posts