Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quirks;
1. Connect Battery, Key off. Fuel pump Starts, does not Stop.
2. When Key is turned on there is one red flash on the ECU and the battery light turns on. ( All should be well?)

Question;
1. Should the fuel pump start when the the battery is connected and the key is off?
2. Is the pump starting with key off related to the pump not stopping?
3. Starts every time third pull, why will it only run up to 3500-3700 RPM?

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I'd say the pump should only run when the key is turned on. I don't know if the pump is supposed to stop when the fuel rail is pressurised before starting the engine, but there probably is a return line for excess fuel to return to the tank. Have you tried bypassing the Throttle Safety Switch? The TSS interupts the ignition at engine speeds approaching clutch engagement if the throeele plate is stuck open, or if the system is malfunctioning. This sled requires a bypass plug to ride the sled with the TSS disabled and the bypass plug is included in the stock tool kit. DIconnect the three prong plug near the base of the handle bars and install the bypass plug and see if the sled will rev up normally. I think you need to check all the wiring for the cause of the pump coming on before the key is turned on. Obviously the igniton switch is not controlling the power to the fuel pump, so you need to find out where the power is coming from.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I agree my pump does not run with they key off! I also like you have the sledd falling flat on it's face at about 3,500 -6,000 RPM's at 6,000 she wants to fly,I belive this is from the TSS also I just dont have the bypass plug yet!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the three wire plug in place should the motor perform at 100%?
If so, are there issues with the stator?
In the wiring Diagram there is a reference to the "High Speed" switch. How does that work when the plug is in?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have no idea about a high speed switch! I have been fighting almost the same issuse's and anyone that has had an older motor with the TSS seem to all end up having problems with them! How much did the bypass plug cost you? That is quite a wild little project you have your self into there!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I'd say the high speed switch is part of the TSS system. That is the switch that is activated by the sideways movement of the throttle pivot pin, and is the switch that is bypassed by the bypass plug.

So the sled will not rev past 3500 at all. Does it sound like it is missing, or does it seem to bog, or labour, like it is too rich, lean, or not able to breathe. If it is missing, then you may need to look into the ignition, all the way back to the stator. If it is a rich, or lean bog then the fuel injection may be the culprit. There should be a throttle position sensor to tell the ECU how much fuel to inject. The first thing has to be to get the fuel pump to run only when the key is on. Fixing that may fix your RPM problem.

·
Registered
237 Posts
94 zr is dead on with that one! I was told the plug should get it running right ! If not gointo the throttle poition sensor is also another faulty one! So with the bypass on and still fall flat on it's face should be that! it Just doesnt know where it should be! mine runs like a mother at 6,000 rpm's they are a known problem with EFI also!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (94ZR580 @ Mar 27 2007, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd say the high speed switch is part of the TSS system. That is the switch that is activated by the sideways movement of the throttle pivot pin, and is the switch that is bypassed by the bypass plug.
See wiring diagram, odd that hit is either open closed, it seems that would relate to the camming of the throttle on the machine thumb throttle..

So the sled will not rev past 3500 at all.
Nope.

Does it sound like it is missing, or does it seem to bog, or labour, like it is too rich, lean, or not able to breathe.
Runs right up to 3500 hangs there. Keep pusing the throttle up, nothing just more intake noise...

If it is missing, then you may need to look into the ignition, all the way back to the stator.
Not missing..

If it is a rich, or lean bog then the fuel injection may be the culprit. There should be a throttle position sensor to tell the ECU how much fuel to inject.
There is..

The first thing has to be to get the fuel pump to run only when the key is on. Fixing that may fix your RPM problem.
Will do.
Thanks

[attachment=67585:wiring.diag.arrow.jpg][/b]

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When the pressure builds up in the fuel pump, what turns the pump off? Does the pump itself have a pressure switch?
You asked about the cost of the plug. it was $3.84 I recall at Livingstons, Hillsborough NH.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts