Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 1995 pantera that was in pieces and am putting back together. Having trouble with bearings. The bearings on the drive shaft did not slip off and on easy AT ALL. The replacement bearings are allballs brand and seem like the are .5-1mm too small to EASILY slip on shaft. Questions are:

1. How easy should bearings slide on and off driveshaft? (had to use 3 foot pry bar to remove last time.

2. Which way to bearings face? When removing bearing it had the collar facing in, but ive read the the collar should face the tunnel

3. How easy should driveshaft extension slide off and on driveshaft (again, seems very tight)

I can upload any pictures needed to help explain. Will also have questions about the track that is on sled.

Short version is I bought the sled for $150 non running in pieces. Got running, now trying to get chain case together as i received it in pieces. I ordered all new bearings and spacers to ensure all moving pieces are good. feel confident in reassembly but worried about getting bearing on shaft easily, bearing on jackshaft slid off easily an d thats what I feel the lower bearing should be like. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Both the drive shaft and jack shaft bearings with the locking collar, should have the locking collar facing the inside or middle of the sled. The bearings can be hard to get off, but should slide on. I like to clean the shafts with a scotch bright pad and some WD40. Those locking collars are eccentric, which means then need to be rotated to lock/unlock the bearings, so make sure you rotate the locking collars for the bearings to slide off and go on smoothly. This is my method (read it on this forum): Put the bearings on both ends of the jack shaft, don't tighten the locking collar. Put the shaft into place tighten the bearing holders, on both sides. Do the same for the jack shaft. Put the gears on the shafts (with chain). Tighten the drive shaft and jack shaft bolts to secure the gears into place. Put flat edge across gears to make sure they are lined up. If not, add a shim behind the top gear. Once the gears are bolted to the shafts, go to the clutch side, twist the locking collars forward and tap with a punch to lock into place, then tighten the allen screw.
Remember, the lower clutch drive shaft side bearing holders both go on the inside of the tunnel. Seen lots of folks mess that up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts