Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1995 580 Ext Artic Cat and the fuel pump is run by a battery, I can't get it to start up and I've made sure it has gas and spark an everything else it needs, when it tries to fire up it is really ruff and then when it backfires it is like its trying to run backwards, any idea to what this problem could be?

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
A sled with poor compression will not start. Have you checked yours?

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
You want compression of at least 115 each and no more than 10% difference between the two cylinders. 5 pulls with throttle wide open will get your reading. Make sure kill switch / key is off. Do that and report your findings. We’ll go from there.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
From your PM if you have 40 in one cylinder and 70 in the other you need to rebuild it. Is the gauge you used a known good working gauge?

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
It is best to ask questions in your threads and not PM just me. The more people that see your post the more that can help you. It’s not just a matter of pistons and rings for rebuilding. Cylinders have to be free of major scratches or gouges. They also have to be within spec. It’s a lot more work than you think and if you’ve never done one or not really mechanically inclined, you may have to pay someone to do it and then it gets expensive and not worth it. Two main things that can kill a motor is poor crank seals and cracked carb flanges which in your case are TB flanges. They are the same part number.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Would you know where I could put a starter on my engine to make it a electric start?
Starter bolts through left front motor mount. Drive clutch needs the ring gear on it. You'll need wiring to starter and starter solenoid/wiring too.
These EFI engines only take 2 pulls to start when battery is good. 2nd pull is maybe a 2 foot pull too! Key here is a good battery for these older EFI's. I had my 93 Pantera 550 EFI for 18 years and this was the norm for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay so I was wanting to make it a electric start in case my recoil breaks, is there a charging system I need to hook up too for the battery to be able to charge?

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
I’m not sure if main wiring harness has all that in it already. I have never done a conversion. Personally I carry an extra length of rope with a D handle on it. Wrap around drive clutch enough to be able to turn motor over to start. DO NOT wrap rope around hand when doing this. I have used this method 3 times and twice on someone else’s sled.

Edit: changed driven to drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you wrap the rope around the primary clutch, or did you wrap it around the flange of where the recoil goes?

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
Did you wrap the rope around the primary clutch, or did you wrap it around the flange of where the recoil goes?
Sorry drive clutch. My post said driven but I changed it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm positive my Arctic Cat isn't running cuz of the pistons being bad, I'm thinking that's why it won't start.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
3 Participants
2 hottie
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing