Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue: My 1994 EXT 580 EFI should only take two or three pulls with the EFI to start, but sometimes i'll have to pull it over 10 times before it'll go. When it does start it idles fine and the engine sounds good but when i take it out i can only get about 50-55 tops out of it. It feels like it has a governer on it or something. It kinda boggs down and won't go any faster. Sometimes it will only go a little ways (50 ft) and then bogg down and die and I can't get it started again after that. Has good compression too.

Things I've looked at: battery, coils, primary clutch, secondary clutch, ECU, ignition sensor, injector sensor, the fuel pressure, fuel injectors, stator, voltage regulator, air box, pipe, muffler, throttle position sensor, throttle safety switch,, spark plugs

My dad had the same sled and we tried swapping all that stuff and nothing helped. I had it to a Cat dealer and he couldn't find anything, and I've had it at the local repair shop and they couldn't find anything. The only things left are the wiring harness and the fuel pump. The fuel pressure is good, so could it still be the fuel pump? The wiring harness is a maybe and I have a used one that came off of a good running sled, so I'm going to try that but otherwise I'm out of ideas. Can anyone think of anything else?

·
Registered
74 Posts
sounds to mee like its not geting enough fuel, which would point to the fuel pump not keeping up, or something is clogged somewhere. did you check the pickup tube in the tank?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts