Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I finally finished the 1998 Thundercat Restomod (let's be honest, they are never really finished are they) I can turn my attention to my 1994 Tcat. I picked this one up last year out of New York. I had a chance to ride it up in Millinocket Maine last year and it ran great. I rebuilt the carbs and performed some general maintenance but parked it once I embarked on the '98.
The objective with this one is not a full restoration since it is much better shape than the '98 was. The objective here is to take what is there and put her back in service for another 26 years.
So off we go again so sit back, relax and enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,904 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious to see....after realizing the suspension benefits on the '98, if you'll be able to resist similar suspension mods on this one.
Ha, no doubt. I think with this one however I am going to put it back as close to stock as possible, just replacing the items that need to be. I still suffering from sticker shock on the last one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pulled the rear suspension out. The suspension still technically "functioned" but was in need of a rebuild. The rear arm shock was shot and the front arm shock was on it last rebound. The corrosion had set in and was doing its work.
I busted the entire suspension down and cleaned and powder coated all the metal parts. I removed all the idler wheel bearings, pulled the seals and then tossed them in the ultrasonic cleaner with some pine-sol (works wonders). Repacked all the bearings with low temp synthetic grease. I had a ton of used idlers laying around so I used the choice ones, also cleaned the original aluminum idlers that came on the sled in '94.
This is just a personal thing but I hate reusing hardware. The zinc plating is generally shot and will only corrode the minute it goes back in the snow. Nylock nuts should only be used once since the threads cut into the nylon by the bolts essentially makes them a matched set, bottom line, do not reuse nylock nuts.
Found an OEM front shock and an aftermarket rear shock. Hopefully it is good for another 20 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
I’m sure you know but this is what you have to look forward to!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m sure you know but this is what you have to look forward to!
I'm psyched. The one thing I see as a potential issue is the original hood decals. Haven't been able to find any repops. Found one guy who will do the '93 decals in purple and green but I dig the '94 decals.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
November of 2015 I tried to buy a 94 at an estate auction. It had 3300 miles. It went for 2700 Canadian which was 2000 usd. It would only run when gas was poured into cylinders.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The original track was in pretty tough shape so out it came. I have never used a Composit track before but I thought I would give it a try. This track is the T320. The track comes fully clipped and is of 2-ply construction and has a 1.25 lug. To bad I have to wait 9 months to find out how I like it. For good measure I threw in some new driveshaft bearings.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
No expert but track looks installed backwards. Are there rotational arrows on it?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No expert but track looks installed backwards. Are there rotational arrows on it?
If you look a bit closer ( I have provided an addtional pic) the view is of the top of the track towards the front, you can see the directional arrows. The Composit lugs have a very unidirectional nature which is a bit different than a lot of Camso tracks. As the lug rolls over the top you can see how when in contact with the snow the profile will act as a scoop with the "wings" sheeding the snow to the side.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
If you look a bit closer ( I have provided an addtional pic) the view is of the top of the track towards the front, you can see the directional arrows. The Composit lugs have a very unidirectional nature which is a bit different than a lot of Camso tracks. As the lug rolls over the top you can see how when in contact with the snow the profile will act as a scoop with the "wings" sheeding the snow to the side.
Thanks, it just didn’t look right.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ideas for keeping yourself entertained while you are "social distancing". I went and found just the absolute nastiest idler wheel bearing and decided to see if I could put it back in service. I do believe this bearing is now ready for another 4000 miles. Man I'm bored
Stay safe everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Refurb'd rear suspension back in the tunnel. I do hate wrestling those things back in. So the rear is ready to rock and roll, now its time to shift to the front end and freshen things up. New shocks on the menu as well as breaking everthing down, servicing the bushing and bearings and then powder coat and paint. Stay tuned and Stay Safe.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Good timing for a project. Track looks good! She’s going to hook up and fly out of the hole. I see you dropped the skid to lower holes. I did the same on my 93 Pantera. The 94 brochure I posted the T-Cat showed the 94 Pantera with skid on lower holes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good timing for a project. Track looks good! She’s going to hook up and fly out of the hole. I see you dropped the skid to lower holes. I did the same on my 93 Pantera. The 94 brochure I posted the T-Cat showed the 94 Pantera with skid on lower holes.
Dropping to the lower mounting hole has the net effect of slowing the sled on the top end but improving the performance in loose/deeper snow. For me I just dig the stance.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On to the front suspension. Removed the shocks, springs and spindles. A-arms, sway bar next up. Stripped and blasted the springs and spindles then about 5-6 hours in the oven to melt out all the old grease. Messy job but worth it in the end.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
I got my T660 spindles, springs and A arms powdercoated just over a year ago. I baked my spindles in the BBQ on an old baking pan lined with tin foil. I pulled the grease zerks and when they were warm, I used my air compressor to blow out the old grease. Don’t forget to cover them with rags so it doesn’t spray you. Worked great. Got them blasted after and coated. Spindles were partially seized due to sand blasting but got them loose and greased the heck out of them to get sand out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got my T660 spindles, springs and A arms powdercoated just over a year ago. I baked my spindles in the BBQ on an old baking pan lined with tin foil. I pulled the grease zerks and when they were warm, I used my air compressor to blow out the old grease. Don’t forget to cover them with rags so it doesn’t spray you. Worked great. Got them blasted after and coated. Spindles were partially seized due to sand blasting but got them loose and greased the heck out of them to get sand out.
Getting the funk out the spindles is a challenge. The zerks on my spindles are tacked on. I think they are good to go now though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Completed the blasting and powder coating of the front suspension components. Pulled the bottom chassis plate off to do some cleaning. Lot of grease and grime as suspected. Will be using a rust converter then rust encapsulating paint and then finish with a 2k spray paint to stop any further corrosion.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
I did the rust converter thing in my 93 Pantera chassis. I then used Dominion Sure Seal premium rubberized rocker guard. Here it is in 2016 when I sold it.

You’re going to have a nice looking machine after you’re finished.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts