Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been beat to death on most sleds. but bare with me!

I can't get the AC block off plate kit online anymore as its discontinued and no shops seem to offer one that will fit.

With that said I've read some people just "loop" the oil injection so it feeds back into the reservoir. I know these sleds don't have a water pump as their fan cooled so I don't need to worry about lubricating the water pump shaft...

would I just need to remove the 2 lines going into the manifold block the manifold holes and just route the feed line into the breather line?

also do these oil pumps default to WOT oiling if it fails?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
back up.... no one is sure? From what i've read most people where worried that the oil pump drive shaft wouldn't get the lubercation required as some of the newer style pumps also had a line going into the bottom of the cases to lube that shaft directly.

Looking closer I dont think this sled has any extra lines going to the crank case. the only lines going to the motor are the 2 lines that go to the carb manifold.

Though I am not sure if the pump is made to seep some oil from the pump itself into the gear? can anyone confirm?

I've always personally preferred mixing my own oil / fuel

·
Registered
6 Posts
will be following, I have the same sled and am interested in doing the same... hopefully someone with experience on this machine chimes in!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will be following, I have the same sled and am interested in doing the same... hopefully someone with experience on this machine chimes in!
Ten four keep me posted as well if you cross anything. I think if all else fails ill just loop the oil pump. so remove lines from manifold and Them back into the oil pump feed line. that way the oil pump is still "working" though just not feeding the engine from the manifold.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That pump will work on newer models I bet. I bet it has a line screw for bottom of crank on pump that is NOT used? on yours ? But there for other years, models etc..feel around for it. You can also run a line ya fill that recirculates the oil if ya want. I use to do it on Rotary Valve Rotax race engines with NO oil pump etc... Take the oil pump off, fill the main oil feed line, run the oil pump shaft BACKWARDS on a cordless drill FAST for few minutes till oil comes out the two cylinder lines, keep it going few minutes, Watch where oil OIL comes out of... If you have NO line on bottom of pump? This will tell you, show you 100% fact if oil is seeping out shaft on pump instead of bottom crank gear line I assume you don't have? If you have the bango type screw (bolt) on bottom of pump? with no line on it? loosen it you will see oil come out. There is also A bleed oil screw bolt to bleed air out of pump. I always bleed, bench the oil pump on a rebuild....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here is a 96 ZR 580 EFI I rebuilt.... NOTE the oil pump line to crank gear, On the OIL PUMP, To the Water pump and the CRANKCASE... See, feel around if your case has one for your year...? Take note the year may be different on sled Build Production, Sale, Stamp on sled etc... depending on WHAT MONTH date... Below the two cylinder feed lines is a bleed screw, bolt... Not sure why it posted two pics...?
2.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just double checked and I have no line going into the crank case. it has 2 outlets 1 going to each side of the intake manifold and thats it.

with that being said. I wonder If I could just install my prime where the oil injection lines used to be. would feed the cylinders enough to get it going nice and easy.

would just have to re route the oil injection back into the oil tank.

·
Registered
77 Posts
IDK that motor working components of oil drive shaft gear etc... Or case oil ports to rod bearings, crank etc... You can't just run premix on some certain 2 strokes getting oil to rod bearings etc... Those oil pumps are pretty reliable set up correct, maintained, bled, etc... And a new Mikuni pump is cheap... Just bleed it first to lines in reverse drill.... Pre mix is a bitch unless it's a race engine changing jets etc...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was the 1st thing i looked for. Theres no extra oiling points. Some newer models had an oil line going to the drive gear but this one doesnt have it. Only oil points on this one is 2 oil lines going into each side of the intake manifold. Thats it.

I know the pumps are reliable but its going on 27 years old.. it doesnt ow anyone anything at this point lol. I know the main fail point for most ive came across is the actualy input shaft on the pump gets rounded over time so the drive shaft portion just freely spins inside and no longer pumps oil.

I know Yamaha oil pumps would default to wide open oiling if any kind of failure like that happens but i dont think its the case for these ones.

I know going to pre mix would lean out the jetting which i do have the next jet sizes up (pilot and main) if it is needed.

I know premix oil has come a long ways since the early mid 90s. We dont have to worry as much about separation and other issues you would typically see

·
Registered
77 Posts
That was the 1st thing i looked for. Theres no extra oiling points. Some newer models had an oil line going to the drive gear but this one doesnt have it. Only oil points on this one is 2 oil lines going into each side of the intake manifold. Thats it.

I know the pumps are reliable but its going on 27 years old.. it doesnt ow anyone anything at this point lol. I know the main fail point for most ive came across is the actualy input shaft on the pump gets rounded over time so the drive shaft portion just freely spins inside and no longer pumps oil.

I know Yamaha oil pumps would default to wide open oiling if any kind of failure like that happens but i dont think its the case for these ones.

I know going to pre mix would lean out the jetting which i do have the next jet sizes up (pilot and main) if it is needed.

I know premix oil has come a long ways since the early mid 90s. We dont have to worry as much about separation and other issues you would typically see
Maybe just pull out the pump shaft. Then put pump back on as a block off. Plug lines on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts