Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the Thundercat part of the forum. Just picked up this ol girl from my dad who had shoulder surgery and can’t pull it over anymore. Hasn’t ran in quite some time. It’s a true barn find, lol. Time to give her some TLC and get her running the lakes and rivers!

Starting the tear down and going through it, ill have the motor out tomorrow. once that's on the stand ill be able to get the rest of the cobwebs and sawdust out of the engine bay. I will keep up the thread with pics since I know we all love pictures. I will be putting some money into this sled since it was my dads and he is bummed he cant ride anymore.

Also if anyone has anything I should take care of as far as performance helping products to add while I tear into the motor please let me know! I am not sure what clutching is done to the machine but it looks like it has a purple helix with a black spring and a brown spring in the primary?

The process is going to be slow but I want to bring this back to show room condition. This was the first real sled that got me hooked when I was a kid, besides the 73 chaparral. Anyways on to the pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Approximately when did your dad purchase that sled?
Shoot, I do not know that. Maybe 1997-ish. I remember being young enough to want to ride it and he wouldn't let me by myself, boy I don't know why that would be lol :wink

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Shoot, I do not know that. Maybe 1997-ish. I remember being young enough to want to ride it and he wouldn't let me by myself, boy I don't know why that would be lol :wink
Member zrt1200 may have some questions for you.

Al????

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Engine is out and at the shop waiting on some free time for me to get after it. The hood is in the basement and starting to get cleaned up, still have more wheeling to do on it but its coming. I have to get the chassis up to work to use the heated power washer for the engine compartment. I picked up a 99 ZR skid and tore it down to get cleaned up and shocks replaced. On to the Pics!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
And the skid picture. Next after the cleaning is going through the wiring, There is no key and the ignition looks like it is wired right into the tether. Good thing my dad had the manuals for it!

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Made more progress today, case is split and everything ready to be cleaned up. My dad has said something about it being punched out and I was a little confused when I measured the bore. Until I found this on the side of the head, all 3 have it but don’t know what a normal one looks like to compare.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Nice sled. This is Al. Jim this is not my old one. Mine I had a custom paint job that changed all the pink to Cat Green. So it looked like a factory 93 graphics but it was green.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Made more progress today, case is split and everything ready to be cleaned up. My dad has said something about it being punched out and I was a little confused when I measured the bore. Until I found this on the side of the head, all 3 have it but don’t know what a normal one looks like to compare.

Most people back in the day put that on to show the heads were milled .012" for more compression. Some guys that used to be on here did that a lot on there builds. A little more to it than that though. You will need to check CC's of head, and squish gap before even doing that and again when done.
Sure you can shave them but that's likely what that was all about. A way to tell is mic the head from the top of head to the actual dome and that will tell if they are cut in most cases. Don't remember off the top of my head what the measurement was, but I can measure one of mine if you like. Your call.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Most people back in the day put that on to show the heads were milled .012" for more compression. Some guys that used to be on here did that a lot on there builds. A little more to it than that though. You will need to check CC's of head, and squish gap before even doing that and again when done.
Sure you can shave them but that's likely what that was all about. A way to tell is mic the head from the top of head to the actual dome and that will tell if they are cut in most cases. Don't remember off the top of my head what the measurement was, but I can measure one of mine if you like. Your call.
Thanks! I will do some digging around. Still figuring what way to go with it as far as leave it stock or punch it out and do a big bore. Seems pipes are hard to come by now-days for the 93-95 Tcats. Realistically it wont be used on the trails since i have my '14 XF for that, probably use it for lakes and rivers.

Other than the ride quality factor, is there any benefits for the TSL skid? I know it will raise the rear end up a bit but didnt know if it would take away some of the speed too.

Got the Case into work and cleaned it all up, i have the before and mid pics but forgot to take the after shot. Also did some March riding on the XF.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
The TSL skid should not really raise ride height, at least not all that much, when set up properly. The real benefit to the extra travel is on the fall out, or droop, not necessarily on additional compression travel. The TSL can also run loser, less track tension, which should mean freer rolling and more speed. I believe the typical big bore mod for these sleds is to get the top end from a 1000 cc engine. I don't think you want to modify the bore of your existing cylinders and having to deal with re-plating.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The TSL skid should not really raise ride height, at least not all that much, when set up properly. The real benefit to the extra travel is on the fall out, or droop, not necessarily on additional compression travel. The TSL can also run loser, less track tension, which should mean freer rolling and more speed. I believe the typical big bore mod for these sleds is to get the top end from a 1000 cc engine. I don't think you want to modify the bore of your existing cylinders and having to deal with re-plating.

Thanks for the response! When using the 1000 cylinders am i able to use the newer pipes off the 1000s? the pipes for a 93 seem dang near impossible to find. The OEM pipes i do have for the 900 and in great shape and i was going to drop them off for ceramic coating but if i can find pipes i wont waste the time on the stock stuff. Glad i picked up the TSL skid then!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well back from a long summer of atv/SxS riding, getting back into the winter spirit! I picked up some 1000 cylinders/heads and will be getting some more of the parts purchased!

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
I think that since it was a 900 and your going to 1000 the pipes should be fine. Check piston wash and plug colors once you run it. You will need to change carb jetting anyway. Glad to see you back at it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts