Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great news!!! I was given 2 sleds that originally belonged to my grandparents, its pretty much all I have left of them so I'm pretty stoked. Grams and Gramps bought them brand new in 1993 so they've been in the family for 28+ years!! I learned to ride on these machines so to have them in my possession has brought about a huge sense of nostalgia and I'd like nothing more than to get them back on the trail.

A bit of info on the sleds....as stated they are 1993 Jag Deluxe 440s
Both are in excellent condition, minus all the dust, for the age and have 4000 miles on them give or take. All trail ridden, and taken care of.

However, they have been in storage for 8-10 years. My dad did not drain the fuel so I am currently in the process of restoring the fuel system....new pumps/lines/filters/carb kits and tank cleaning...the works. Once i get that all done naturally I'm going to want to fire them up.

My first question, and keep in mind I'm a newbie to this whole snowmobile restoration/rebuild stuff.

Given they have sat for so long are there any other major components i need to check before firing them up?

My plan was basically to get them running and start fixing what needs to be fixed from there.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle Darkness

·
Registered
522 Posts
Great news!!! I was given 2 sleds that originally belonged to my grandparents, its pretty much all I have left of them so I'm pretty stoked. Grams and Gramps bought them brand new in 1993 so they've been in the family for 28+ years!! I learned to ride on these machines so to have them in my possession has brought about a huge sense of nostalgia and I'd like nothing more than to get them back on the trail.

A bit of info on the sleds....as stated they are 1993 Jag Deluxe 440s
Both are in excellent condition, minus all the dust, for the age and have 4000 miles on them give or take. All trail ridden, and taken care of.

However, they have been in storage for 8-10 years. My dad did not drain the fuel so I am currently in the process of restoring the fuel system....new pumps/lines/filters/carb kits and tank cleaning...the works. Once i get that all done naturally I'm going to want to fire them up.

My first question, and keep in mind I'm a newbie to this whole snowmobile restoration/rebuild stuff.

Given they have sat for so long are there any other major components i need to check before firing them up?

My plan was basically to get them running and start fixing what needs to be fixed?

Watch out for rodent nests in the airbox and muffler. Probobly should get a new belt as well, you don't want one to break at wide open throttle!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would pull the plugs and put some fogging oil or 30wt oil into the cylinders and turn the engines over slowly with the plugs out to spread the oil around before trying to start them. Don't forget to make sure the plugs are in the caps and grounded when doing this. You might also be able to hear a bad bearing in there while doing this. I would also suggest replacing the crank seals, unless you know they were replaced. If they are original, then they are almost 30 years old, and would be good insurance to replace now, rather than possibly a top-end later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info!! I planned on going through and checking the seals. As far as bearings, I do remember replacing the bearings with triangular flanges just before putting them away. I'll have to check out the service manual to see if those are the bearings you're referring to.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little bit of progress. Without a heated garage and the -30 degree bitter cold temps, my time to work on these machines has been limited. However we're back in the lower 20's so I've been able to work on them a little.

New All Balls carb kits showed up the other day so I was able to get one carb rebuilt last night. I was actually shocked how clean and free of FOD the carb was, no major buildup at all. My dad must've turned off the fuel and ran them out before storage....I just wish he would've taken the gas out of the tanks too. The carb from the other sled will be cleaned and rebuilt tonight and if I have enough time, will mount the new fuel pumps as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If all goes well and the weather cooperates, I plan on replacing all the old fuel lines and pulling the seat/tank assembly this weekend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both air silencers were all clear of nests and i didn't see any evidence of the little buggers getting into the exhaust.
The belts....oof-dah :eek:....I've seen better lol. Back in the day when i was still riding these as a broke punk teenager I remember holding off replacing those poor Dayco XP belts as much as i could...$5.25/hr at the Trap and Skeet Club didn't give me much purchase power lol. They were still $40+ dollars then.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alrighty guys....

Being these seats are coming off this weekend and the vinyl is shot, does anyone have a recommendation of where i can get new upholstery for these seats?

I did find a guy on ebay that sells new seat covers at $135 a pop. Just looking for other options that might be out there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another speed bump....

The second carburetor came out fine and looked pretty good....until I tried to pull the choke plunger....

The plunger is stuck in there hard. I've let penetrating oil soak in there for a couple days with no avail. My next step is to throw it in the ultrasonic cleaner with a pretty concentrated degreasing solution.

If the ultrasonic method doesn't work, are there any other suggestions? Otherwise I'm going to have to apply heat and hope it pops.

The carb is a Mikuni VM34

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
be carful on the heat.
i think trans fluid and a little acetone with marvel mystery oil works well to soften things up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've had some luck letting out all the cable slack on the choke then unthreading the choke to the point where I can put a flat blade screwdriver down beside the cable and try and turn the plunger first before trying to pull it out. The penetrating fluid and some heat were also part of my process. Heard good things about how well the trans fluid/acetone mix works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts