Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a '93 EXT EFI 550 that is giving me some problems! After the first snowfall of about 2" I did a few laps around my house just fine (pretty small area, slow stuff).

The next day there was about 10" of snow and it wouldn't budge, I initially thought the belt was slipping. I had to slip the belt and rev it (about 4000) while I pushed it into my garage.

I took the belt off and the track wouldn't turn, kind of 'spongy'. That turned out to just be snow/ice built up not allowing the track to turn, the track was also a little tight.

So the track spins nicely, I take it out, get one decent run in up my driveway. I stopped off the road in about 8" of snow, and it wouldn't go anywhere again. I managed to get back onto the plowed driveway, it will putter along but won't rev past 4000-4500. My driveway is a slight hill, but nothing major.

So basically under load the sled will not go past 4000-4500, but up in the air it will rev up to 6500 and do just over 60 mph..........does that sound right?

Weird I was able to do one quick run before it would no longer rev.

It starts fine, second pull easy.........But, when I first got it, it took thousands of pulls. The sled had been sitting for a few years, I ended up having to pull the plugs and dry them every 2-3 pulls. Each time I did this it wanted to fire a little more until finally it started......and smoked like crazy.

The plugs were 'wet' with oil, I thought maybe it was injecting too much oil so to get it started I clamped the line. That seemed to work, although even with it clamped I still had to dry the plugs after each pull. Now that it is running, it seems to be ok, starts all the time, and doesn't smoke too much.

When it revs to the 4000, the belt slips on the primary, would a new belt help? That doesn't really explain why it won't rev past under load, but maybe? Other than that, new plugs maybe? I've been doing some research and another thing is the stator? Hope it's not, but maybe you guys will have seen the same problem and know right away!

Thanks for any help!

Brad

·
Registered
211 Posts
Early efi's wont run with a weak battery, it might not be holding a charge and need replacing. If thats not it, then I'd start checking the stator. Also unclamp the oil line! It's smoking because the fuel oil mixture is not burning efficiently due to weak spark.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I was wondering about battery, but it is brand new. It is one of those cheap ones tho, my gel cell from my sea-doo is too big!

Haha, yeah I unclamped the oil line as soon as it fired, and really it seems to be normal now with the amount of smoke.

Does it make sense for it to be the stator if it will rev with no load, but not with a load? I'm just thinking the stator only works off of the crank, so is rev dependent, not load.

But I guess it could cause the electrical to be weak..........will try a few things next time, if nothing works then yeah, the stator will have to come out.

Thanks again,

Brad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts