Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am pretty new to snowmobiles and I ran into a problem with one of my skis on my sled. On my 1993 arctic, it has steel skis on them where the newer sleds have the plastic ski. I had one of the purple ski covers get ripped off at the end of the season last year. I went to DennisKirk.com and entered in my sled and looked for skis that would match it and the only option is to get a steel ski and then buy the ski cover. So my question is can you convert from steel skis to the newer plastic skis that don't require those ski skins? I am just scared to buy a plastic ski and have it not fit my sled and then have to return it and wait for a new one.

·
Registered
13,982 Posts
Modifications are required on the spindle bushings in order for the newer plastic skis to fit. They need to be sliced down to the width of the spindle. I did it on my 93 Pantera.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Modifications are required on the spindle bushings in order for the newer plastic skis to fit. They need to be sliced down to the width of the spindle. I did it on my 93 Pantera.
Ok can i ask that you explain that a little more I do not have my sled near me it is parked up at our lake. What do you mean need to be slice down to width of the bushing... like take a grinder to them and make smaller? or what kinda of confusing

·
Registered
13,982 Posts
There is a bushing that get pressed onto the aluminum spindle on each side of it. They stick out from the spindle. This excess that sticks out can be cut off with a hacksaw. Once cut, the width of the spindles match the ski mount width. I thought I had pictures of the process but can’t find them. I had issues with the bolt seized up in bushing. It took a bit to drill it out.

·
Registered
13,982 Posts
I don’t have the machine anymore so I can’t help with new pics

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s okay I’m just pretty knew to all this stuff I’ve watched some videos of other sleds just none of my sled… so my question is what ski can I get I’ve gone over to DennisKirk.com and entered in my sled and search for skis that would fit and only get a steel ski which I don’t want. Then how do I know what mounting kit to get?

·
Registered
13,982 Posts
The skis I got are the cheap blow moulded type from Cat. Width of mount is the same as any new plastic ski from Cat. Get the saddleless type which don’t have a separate plate to mount the skis. You can use the saddle type if you find used with everything to bolt it up to the spindle. Sabercat and Firecat use saddles and are 5” skis. Pantera and the T660 four strokes are 6” skis. Panthers have the blow moulded type.

·
Registered
13,982 Posts
Go to country Cat . Com and look at the Arctic cat parts site for sleds in the late 90’s early 2000’s

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.