Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up this sled with 3600 miles on it,went to look at it and tried to pull it over and it wont,so i ended up getting it for 300 bucks,its in pretty good shape for its age,i got it home and can move the primary a little each way and it sounds like there is ice in somthing,he said it ran good last year and it sat outside all summer ,could there be ice in somthing that is causing this i havent been able to get it inside yet and put some heat to it,

where these good sleds back in the day,i know its heavier than Not worthy:na na:sleeping: but i guess i can deal with that mostly will be used for running on the mississippi river any comments on the locked up motor or if these where good sleds back in the day please comment

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
I don't know how "ice" would stick a motor, (never rule out anything though) but to me, from this computer, It sounds like a broken rod. If you can rock the motor some, does it sound like it's inside the motor?

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Unless the crankcase is full of frozen water. lol It's not really funny, i had a motor that was sitting outside for years with ice in it. If that's the case, I would completely tear it down for a cleaning, drying out and rebuild.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
wildcat

it appears to be somthing in the bottom end,it will turn for a ways and then not turn,both pistons are still moving,i thought it may have been frozen it sounded like ice but it may be metal grinding what would go down there would it be bearing or somthing else,i dont work on the insides of motors to much so im not to sure what it could be,bad crank, ???

ok after looking into it more it is somthing on the recoil side thats wear all the noise is coming from,i can turn the clutch back and forth now but not all the way around,could it be froze up in there or somthing else any ideas would be great

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wildcat

ya i can move the clutch both ways and then it hits somthing and wont turn all the way around i just dont have a clue what it is,i pulled the pipes to see if i could see the skirts but i cant

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wildcat

ya thats where it sounds like it is coming from,is in there somewhere,so would i have to get a different flywheel then would a flywheel from a 580 carbed sled be the same i have a couple of them around here

·
Registered
30 Posts
if your sled is carb then the stator and flywheel should be the same,you need a puller to remove flywheel,be gentle when removing the good one ,the weights are glued on and if you beat on it the glue can crack and cause another disaster,if it does need pursuation only tap on the end of the puller not on the flywheel.if you need a stator do not buy a kimpex one they are junk,i know of several guys that tried them and all of them only lasted 2 or 3 hundred miles,this goes for cats and all makes,your better off to spend the big bucks on new oem,or find used oem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
wildcat

well i pulled the flywheel of and the stator is in alot of pieces now the motor turns nice and free,now my question the stator the same as a 580 and the flywheel, i have a couple 580 motors with stators and flywheels ,i guess its good that it isnt the motor
the flywheel from a 580 looks the same but has adifferent number on it any help would be great i may have the parts to get it running,what would come apart in there to cause this just a weight coming off man she is in pieces in there

i looked it up the stator is the same and the only difference i see with the flywheel is the bolt size that holds the piece on that the recoil catches,the three small bolts so it should work

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wildcat

i got it all back together but it wont fire,will if i pour gas in the cylinders,took the tops off the carbs and alot of moisture so i will have to pull them and clean um

anyone know what size carbs are on this thing they are very big and it has two fuel pumps

anyone know a good place to get the big carb boot for this sled this one is in bad shape where these decent sleds back in the day or not
just wondering if i should keep it or part it out,i see that the bolt is broke off in the clutch any way to get this out or do i have to destry the clutch to do it Cat happyCat happy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.