Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just go back home from hurley, wi after an almost 310 mile trip with my Jag. I was able to hit 72mph with it a few times. Sled is in almost perfect shape. It ran through the woods better then a deer and got 15mpg.

However, she broke down on Tuesday at 3am with 30 miles left to Minocqua. I was going through Mercer and came to a stop sign, went to go and nothing. Track was totally locked. I think it is the brake as it was acting weird for 20 or so miles. It would sometimes work very good and other times very little.

The sled runs flawless otherwise.

Sucks, I would have hit 9000miles.

What direction can you guys guide me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would check the brakes first since they were acting up. Pull the pads and make sure they're not broken. If they are ok, try to spin the track by turning the driven clutch by hand. Check the inside of the chain case, and drive axle bearings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How much did you check it out. I have doubts it is the brakes. Check it out though, next check and see if you have a rock or stick or chunk of ice lodged between the tunnel and the track. Then pull the CC cover for a scorched bearing there or the jack shaft

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up looking further into this today. It looked like a pad was jammed between the caliper and one of the rotor bolt heads. I took off the mounting bracket and caliper etc and sure enough. The inside brake pad fell out because it was so thin. The outside was still thick and somewhat good shape. The inside pad also showed proof of a jam up on multiple edges. I am not 100% sure yet. I have movement in rotor and both clutches. I still have it on the trailer so I am having a friend come over tonight so I can start it and lift up the back while one hits the throttle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yesterday, changed the Brake Pucks and made adjustments on the caliper. Ended up going 40 miles later that day. That was the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts