Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I bought a 1991 Wildcat, I paid $125 which is a steal. the previous owner ran it good until she parked it for a while and it never ran right. He said he would get about 60 feet then the sled would die out, and a few mins later it will run again and do the same thing. I haven't experienced any of that while having it on a stand, however after high RPM's it does backfire, seems like it's going lean. I think with a good carb clean my sled should be a ripper. The track doesn't engage until 4500 RPM while on the stand and I couldn't get it to move on the grass. I may just not have given it enough throttle, it's that engagement RPM normal? or do I need to take a look a the clutch assembly? Its a 2-stroke, so it's supposed to smoke. but this thing seems to smoke more than any other sled I've ridden. The man I bought it from said the owner before him had the engine completely gone through, everything replaced except the reeds. I'm thinking the Oil injection system may be incorrectly adjusted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The first thing I did after getting it on the stand was to give it a good clean. I plan on replacing the windshield to make it look better and it would be nice. I think ill just put some flex taper over the tears in the seat. I Might also try to properly fix the hole in the hood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Might I add that that one of the Carb boots has some blue silicone all over the left intake boot, I assume to seal a hole or tear. so I'm ordering a new intake boot tomorrow and rebuilding the carbs Wednesday.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
I doubt the oil injection is the fault. All two strokes smoke more in the summer. Mostly due to warmer air. Be sure your not sucking air on the boots on the engine side of carb or you will lean out the cylinder. Is coolant level up on the reservior bottle? I would start by checking carbs and cleaning them so you know where your at with them. Not sure if that sled has a throttle position sensor or not. Maybe someone else will know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, the smoking makes sense. I checked the coolant and it looks good to me. I'm ordering a new carb boot shorty. I'm going on vacation. when I come back I'm going through the carbs. if they have any junk its not much. It starts for me 1st pull now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts