Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the snowmobile scene this year. I have been looking the past month or so, for REALISTIC engine swap to make the sled a little faster and compatible with deeper snow. I looked into swapping the engine with the wildcat 700 engine and came to the conclusion that it was far to much work and was pretty much pointless. Is the zr 580 or 600 swap worth it as far as more power goes? What all do i need or need to do to make this swap happen? I am an ase cert. tech and a cert. welder so modding little things isn't a problem.

I was also wondering if there were any mods out there to get the 440 up to speed? The 440 only has 500 org. miles on it so if im not going to get alot more power out of the 580 or 600 swap im probably not going to do it. Just need some opinions, let me no what you think. ThanksI dunno

·
Registered
45 Posts
prowle

is it a special or not, if it has the motor mounted on all four corners to the chassis its a special,if its on a plate its not a special, the specials came with a 550 bottom end you could put 550 or 580 jugs on it,the special also has 36mm carbs so they would work ,i have put a 580 in my chassis and it worked good, as far as anything to do with the motor in it there isnt alot to realy do to it,they make a pipe but it is very expensive and i doubt it would be worth it, i have my 91 special clutched and that helped some .mine does 0 to 50 pretty quick but its no speed demon good trail sled

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The prowler is not a special (would have been sweet if it was). Im not really looking for a speed demon, just something that has the power when you need it. would be kinda nice to keep up with my friends wildcat 700, but i dont think thats going to happen. Not this machine anyways:lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
prowler

ya there isnt alot ya can do with the old 440 in it,not sure if the older 530 engines were mounted on all 4 or were on a plate ya culd check them out from the like 89 to 90 91 ext eltigres one of those may work,i do know of a guy who made special mounts to make a 550 work in a 90 prowler,but ya would have to figure out how to mount it,not sure if that wuld be worth the time and money let alone the frustration of doing it,there just isnt alot ya can do with it,my 91 special is pretty quick but no speed demon that for sure,ya can always call acat dealr and see if any bigger motors were mounted on a engine plate ,if the sled is in good shape just leave it as it is and find a bigger sled :angry:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts