Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1991 Jag AFS - Electrical questions

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ralphie251 
#1 ·
Hi - Hope I'm doing this right (new member). I just bought a 1991 Jag 440 AFS with some missing elec components (CDI, Ign coil) for my son. The CDI on my spare 1980 Spirit 275cc cross refferences (according to MFG supply) so I put it on. The ign coil does NOT cross refference so I just used it to see if I have spark (I do - jumped the brown to black to test). The ign coil matches the bolt holes line up so I am tempted to try firing it up. Is it safe to see if it will run with this coil? I figure it will either run or not (if the timing is wrong - I should know real fast) but do I risk frying the coil, CDI or stator?

Also, the parts listings/diagrams on line show a voltage regulator but dosen't show where it is mounted and I cant find it. Does anyone know where it should be mounted? The wires that I think should run to it go up under the dash?

And last, there is a 6 pin connector (I think 4 female and 2 male if I recall right) Coming out from the dash. Is that suppose to connect to anything (I can't make out how many pins are on some of these connectors looking at the diagrams I can find online), or is it for other options that I don't have (i.e. elec start), or maybe it is a generic harmess used on other sleds that might need that connection? Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey there you got a couple of tough questions there,as far as the cdi,coil,stator go the chances of frying the stator or coil are slim but not impossible,Iam surprised that the cdi crosses over I would have thought that the timing curve would have been different.Myself I would put out some feelers there were alot of them sleds out there and I would think easy to come up with the correct parts cheaply.As far as the voltage regulator is concerned check down around the inside footwell area I cant remember exactly but I think it was around there on my 91 cat.Now the multi pin open harness was for accesories you may not have it was common the same harness for all.

#3 ·
Yes I think you are right - not a smart idea. MFG supply says the CDI is a match but it doesn't make sense to me that a 275cc CDI will work but not the 275cc ign coil - but I'm no expert. Aleast I know I have spark. I saw today on a 550 (EXT I think) the regulator was attached to the outside of the brake mechanism. Maybe I'll see a screw hole there when I get home and look (that's what's been throwing me off - couldn't find an unused screw hole anywhere ON THE BELLYPAN. Nor could I find a picture anywhere on the net of that area of an early 90s FC 440). If that's where it goes, than maybe it connected to the only unconnected 2 prong connector I see - just under the hood at the top of the steering post coming off the handlebars - it's relatively close to the brake mechanism so maybe that makes sense. I do have a couple of regulators (will check for a match). I just want to be sure where to connect it without buying a manual for just that. If anyone can verify that that is where it connects to, than I'll also know I'm not missing a piece of the wiring harness. Thanks again.

#6 ·
I guess this would be the place to start looking. If anyone has a good coil and/or CDI that will fit a 91 Jag 440 AFS, please let me know. The numbers at Browns (which I think are OEM?) are: Coil = 3003-685 CDI = 3003-167. If you have either please email me at 'Ralphie251@live.com' and let me know how much you want. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.