Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang! I apologize in advance for my long winded thread....

I have a 1990 Wildcat with a '94 ZR700 engine under the hood.

Took the WildKitty out for a ride this afternoon. Everything sounded good and the engine was running strong for a little over 20 miles. I slowed down to climb out of a ditch to cross a road when suddenly the sled barely had enough power to pull itself along.

When I got across the road, I let off the throttle and the engine died. I tried restarting and after several pulls it would barely run @ partial throttle. I pulled the plugs and they both look good. I have new blue fuel lines and noticed that there doesn't seem to be much fuel going into the carbs.

Ended up calling the wife to rescue me with the truck and trailer. When I got home, I took a closer look and pulled the line off of the fuel shutoff valve. There was hardly any fuel in the line or the inline filter either. THE TANK IS OVER HALF FULL.

I turned the shutoff valve back on without the hose on it and there is just a trickle of fuel that came out. I opened the gas cap and no change in the flow. So here's my question before I tear into the sled any farther.

Should the valve have a steady strong flow of gas when opened and the engine not running or do the pumps actually draw the gas out of the tank???? I dunno

[attachment=142412:12_20_09.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found the fuel delivery problem. One of the pump supply lines had rubbed against the jackshaft and worn a hole in the line. Replaced the hose and the sled is now getting fuel, but would only run on one cylinder.

I did a compression check and only had 5 lbs on the PTO side cylinder! Pulled the head and found the top edge of the piston missing and the broken rings had left a big gouge in the cylinder wall! This engine just had a top-end rebuild last winter!

Now I'm right back to square one with a broken 700 w/ the PTO side shot. When I bought it last year, it had the original 650 with the PTO side trashed.

To make matters even more ironic; I just sold the good 650 cylinder + piston last week. If I still had it, I could have bolted it right on for free! bang your head

1 - 3 of 3 Posts