Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sled is for my son, we thought we had it running good, drove around the yard for a 1/2 hour everything was great, and then it died....no spark, tried another coil, still no spark, of course it was in deep snow, after 3 hours we finally got it into the garage. Later that night I went out to try some tests, on a whim I checked for spark, and it was great!!?? So I drove it into the barn (our workshop) and parked it. I did all the tests that are published, and everything seems to check out. When running the sled does not miss at all, when it quit it was sudden, like flipping a switch. I think this sled has a primary coil and a charging coil and a trigger coil under the flywheel, Can someone please tell me how to diagnose this?? I've tried the resistance tests that I can find, but I'm not able to get the exact specs for my son's machine, maybe if someone had those that would be a start. We are hoping to hit the trails, this will be my son's first time, and I'd hate for him not to be able to ride his sled. Thanks for everyone's help in advance......

Joe and Kevin

·
Registered
268 Posts
Try bypassing your TSS switch there is info on how you do it on this site it is a video that tells you how to bypass it.Good luck.These are notorious for going bad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine did the samething couple days ago I was about to bypass tss when I noticed the throttle cable was a lil lose by the thumb it has a lil piece on the thumb that pushes a button in I pulled my throttle cable so it tightened up at the thumb an tie straped it so it wouldnt be loseand it worked.for me cable just had to much slack at the thumb good luck with it

·
Registered
45 Posts
prowler

my 91 prowler special was doing somthing like that and it ended up being the cdi box if i jumpered the non yellow wires coming out of the stator it ran great

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tss

Yes, I have bypassed the TSS, before that I had no spark at all. I think it's one of the coils under the flywheel, but which one???? Thanks for all the responses so far. I think we are just going to yank out whole motor as I have a "parts" prowler and the engine runs great, I would still like to solve this electrical nightmare!!:Bangin:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well crosscut its the broken coil of course!!!Just kidding, glad to hear you have a backup motor just test each coil with a multi meter set to ohms and you will have to search for each value of each coil .There is a post on here I believe that will guide you through it. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts