Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1990 arctic cat 530 ext. Bogging off the idle, good top end. Running at 3200ft.

270 main jet, needle is in fourth position. Tried multiple different settings on air screw from one to three turns out. Still boggy. My stator is set right in the middle of the three mark.

New fuel and new synthetic oil.

Can anyone give me any ideas or settings to go off of?

Would it be a good idea to advance the stator timing? and when looking at the stator what way would turn the stator to advance it ? i think it would be counter clock wise but not sure, thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Try increase the size of your idle jet(s)that might do it they are cheap enough anyway so get a couple of different sizes and try to tune it up that way.Good luck.Just looked up your stock size idle jet is a 25,try a 30 then go from there then try it out.Adjust as required.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Forth clip from the top or bottom

I would actually start with a smaller pilot when I think boggy I think rich

Might need a larger cutaway

Don't know a whole lot about high elevations

Will it bog if you pin it from a dead stop if so it could be a clutch hanging up a little

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clip is fourth from the bottom so second from the longest setting. Problem is still there even with the belt off.

Forth clip from the top or bottom

I would actually start with a smaller pilot when I think boggy I think rich

Might need a larger cutaway

Don't know a whole lot about high elevations

Will it bog if you pin it from a dead stop if so it could be a clutch hanging up a little

·
Registered
511 Posts
Try checking compression first. Then let it idle for a few minutes and have a look at the plugs. This will tell you if you are rich or lean. Good running plugs will be the color of coffee 2 creams. Of course if compression is low you can skip all other steps and refresh rings. If this sled ran good last year clean carb and use lots of compressed air and carb cleaner.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think cleaning carb will get you going on the right path. Playing with the timing can run into bigger problems. Use a small wire in all passages when cleaning. Good luck! !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ext

I have a 1990 arctic cat 530 ext. Bogging off the idle, good top end. Running at 3200ft.

270 main jet, needle is in fourth position. Tried multiple different settings on air screw from one to three turns out. Still boggy. My stator is set right in the middle of the three mark.

New fuel and new synthetic oil.

Can anyone give me any ideas or settings to go off of?

Would it be a good idea to advance the stator timing? and when looking at the stator what way would turn the stator to advance it ? i think it would be counter clock wise but not sure, thanks
DO NOT PUT SYNTHETIC OIL IN AN OLD SLED. It will run your engine at high rpms and give you a hell of a problem. Buy the cheapest sled oil you can find.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I run synthetic oil in all 7 of my sleds and all 3 of my vehicles and have never had a oil related problems. My oldest sled is a 1977 my newest is 1996. All run on Amsoil at 50 to 1. Cars and pickup are on Mobil 1 5w30 and 80w90.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts