Arctic Cat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I located 1988 el tigre dual pipes for $300, 5900 miles in decent shape,needs a seat cover hopefully I can locate one. Owner will be out of town on business trip till next
Tuesday and I'll traveling up to Chicago on Tuesday to pick it up on Wednesday. His brother also has 1988 and a friend who has a 1989 who are considering selling them.
When I call him on Tuesday assuring him I'm coming up,he'll give the details on the other sleds if anyone is interested in them.

I first question on the 88,is can a modern skid be swap out for a better ride?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
With the twin shock set up in the rear kinda limited to what you can do. Should ride pretty good if everything was up to snuff.
What's different from the 89 chassises and please don't tell tracks are no longer available for this year

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Nothing that matters between the 2. I wont tell you but theres nothing available. Twin shock sleds are 16 wide 15 would work. But a bigger than Kardashian most of the Cat's from 73-89 on have a now not popular 7 1/2 rail spacing vs modern and everything else 8 7/8. Kimpex used to make them but their out of the track business now. 90 on most Cats are 8 7/8 too .I called up Camo on making a run of 7 1/2 but never got back to me. Most of the old Cat tracks are getting hard now not real flexable for speed. You can widen the early Cats to modern spacing pretty easy. Looks to be a bit different on a twin shock a lot going on under there.

You could probly put something else in there if you put a mind to it. Under the shock cover is a void nothings there

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nothing that matters between the 2. I wont tell you but theres nothing available. Twin shock sleds are 16 wide 15 would work. But a bigger than Kardashian most of the Cat's from 73-89 on have a now not popular 7 1/2 rail spacing vs modern and everything else 8 7/8. Kimpex used to make them but their out of the track business now. 90 on most Cats are 8 7/8 too .I called up Camo on making a run of 7 1/2 but never got back to me. Most of the old Cat tracks are getting hard now not real flexable for speed. You can widen the early Cats to modern spacing pretty easy. Looks to be a bit different on a twin shock a lot going on under there.

You could probly put something else in there if you put a mind to it. Under the shock cover is a void nothings there
I've been checking what parts are available but the track isn't one of them. Checked the 90 model drive shafts and drive sprockets,the 88 used the same driveshaft # 0228-045 but used three drive sprockets,where as the 90 used four drive sprockets. So the plan is to a buy a new D/S and four sprockets with either a SC3 or SC4 skid and go from there. If the 88 tunnel near the D/S prevents the installation of the new four D/S then it's to plan B,90 model with 88 motor transplant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Located a 1990 el tigre two drive sprocket and shaft on ebay cheap. It's a start,hopefully it all works out.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You have to watch the parts fich theres usually a little note saying not for assembly ect. The 16 track El tigers Twin shock have 4 drivers despite the picture and a longer drive shaft than something in a 15 inch model. Might run into problems fitting into chain case of a 15 inch model and vise versa 15 in a 16 track might be a tad short, The late model Cats use a real long drive shaft can tell they have a stud on the gear end. Use the drive shaft that comes with your sled you can move or add the drivers around on the shaft to fit a new track. 2 sprockets wont be enough for El Tigre hp unless there aftermarket window drivers post a pic up

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Also add when you go to check your sled out measure across the back windows in the center. If its around 9 inch smile if 7 1/2 inch still smile if the tracks in good condition. Like the other one if 530 check the code on the cylinder that nothing above the scem. That havnt been switched out if you want el tigre ones

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Also add when you go to check your sled out measure across the back windows in the center. If its around 9 inch smile if 7 1/2 inch still smile if the tracks in good condition. Like the other one if 530 check the code on the cylinder that nothing above the scem. That havnt been switched out if you want el tigre ones
Can't figure out why it keeps (quoting) when I try to reply. The ebay the seller wont except my offer which is good cuz I had no idea i could reuse the old shaft,so thanks.
I plan on using the Wahl bros no slip drives to eliminate the two outer sprockets,don't know the stock hex drive size but I'll post a picture of them.
You'll have to excuse my ignorance when you say check the back window in the center. The owner said this 6000 is all original and I'll post a image of it but I'll check the jugs.
I just about fell over on new seat cover tag(ouch).
257341SS.png

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I looked up the drives on ebay you were looking at you dont want those lucked out. They just removed the two outer ones.. A 4 driver is really like a 3 driver on other Cats. You have 2 2 lug drivers and 2 1 lug half drivers. For a total of 6 lug drive just like 3 2 lug drivers. The windows are the holes in the track where the sliders runs easy to measure in the rear of the sled. Thats the rail spacing from the center to the center of that window. Thats where a Wahl driver would grab that window

Another but, 7 1/2 spaced Cat tracks dont have drive lugs on either side of the windows like a modern 8 7/8 track they got their own thing going on. A Wahl driver spaced on the shaft to grab the window may only get 1 lug on the track. Have to check your 16 stock track that has lugs on both side of the windows for a Wahl to work as intended or have to run a couple of the half drivers. For a window drive plus 4 lugs. Looks like a nice sled its all there wont take much to get it looking good under the hood

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks for that explanation. The old sled looks decent, we'll see what it looks like up close in person in a few days. With this el tigre being 32 yrs old
would you suggest breaking the engine down to replace crank seals and rings? Whats the better quality seal and gasket set to get just in case? He just went through the carbs,belt and clutches. Where these dual pipe 6000 ok for trail riding besides lake racing. From re searching this forum and others the later 89-91 where aimed more for trailing.
Can't thank you enough for answer my questions!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
. With this el tigre being 32 yrs old
would you suggest breaking the engine down to replace crank seals and rings? Whats the better quality seal and gasket set to get just in case? He just went through the carbs,belt and clutches. Where these dual pipe 6000 ok for trail riding besides lake racing. From re searching this forum and others the later 89-91 where aimed more for trailing.
I dont, I make a decision when I by a sled. Take a compression test if its where it should be I clean everything up and run it. On yours 125-130 lbs where it would be like new, shoot a little hot start on the clutch seal if it dosnt pick up rpm its good. I like OEM factory stuff if so start looking now for gaskets and seals you will have them when its time. Atermarket gasket are like a piece of paper They always say they went through the sled, See the rust on the drive clutch shaft hasnt been run in some time driven needs a cleaning too. Clean them up before running it. Get the old gas out of the tank new fuel line inside and lines to the pump and carbs and clean the carbs

Those twins are good for the trail about the same as the old leafer single pipe which is better than the later stuff. 8250-8500 rpm range, The drive clutch not that it matters too much has been changed starting in 86 the clutches look about the same a Comet EXP style but same Cat on them

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks for the advice. I'm so pumped up about getting this old El Tigre. Hope the trip goes well without any unexpected clinches with all the kayos and everything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks for the advice. I'm so pumped up about getting this old El Tigre. Hope the trip goes well without any unexpected clinches with all the kayos and everything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Finally after months of delays due to the virus,I made the trip to pick up the El Tigre was in decent shape for it's age. It tried to start bad failed on a few attempts but
I bought it anyway. One of the fuel pumps was bad so I ordered a Mikuni DF 52-73 for a single pump rather the two pump set up. Upon inspection of the carbs,
they don't appear to be stock,I'll post pictures later. I've tried googling and searching this forum for the 1988 carb specs with no luck. Can someone help me with
carb MM size and brass jetting for the 1988 el tigre 530.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts