Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, here we go again.. gonna be a cat fer sale real quick.... bang your head

after fergetting to loctight some screws and costing me a new flywheel, and fixed, sled ran great.. fer about 20 mins.

after doing some checks to ensure no leaks in the cooling system, i took off down the road.. got to the end of the block, slowed down and went to gun her again. She started to mis fire and bog, and before i could get a chance to trouble shoot anything, it completly died.. like someone turning of the key.

well, i just finished checking all of the wires with an olm meter, everything appears to check out. Sled wireing, kill switches, key, saftey switch, and stator wires and ignition coil... this leaves me with the CDI unit...

I tried a cdi unit i found outa god knows what but is a suzuki cd and wires were the same, but still no spark...

ran, misfire and die, and no spark sound like the cdi going **** up ??????

·
Registered
20 Posts
I kinda had the same thing, mine would start but then bog and die. I replaced the Cdi and it fired right up and ran for only 10 min and then did the same thing. So I took the flywheel off and replaced the internal coil, reset the timing to the stock dash mark and cleaned all the electrical connections. These sleds have pretty bad grounds so I wire brushed where the external coil mounts to the sled and cleaned that all up. After reinstalling everything I used my old CDI that I thought crapped out and the sled runs awesome now.

I know its a PITA to get to the internal coil, but did you make sure the inside of the flywheel and the metal runners on the coil were nice and clean? I used a special elec. sand paper and brushed them up.

If your getting no spark maybe its a bad ground or external coil. First try working with what ya got before you spend money, I was lucky enough to have a donor motor.

Goodluck man

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree with 79Kattigre- I had this happen on my 85' El Tigre once. It was the internal coils. Ran like a champ after that. Hang in there! :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok well, i checked everything out with an olm meter and everything seemed to cleck out as per the manual. All the sled wireing seems to be good and the internal coils appear to be working as well....Gonna take it in and see if the dealer has an ignition tester i guess just to make sure as I hate the idea of replaceing stuff on a guess...... and there is no way to test the cdi box either....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts