Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some help with a timing issue. i posted last week about changing crankseals on a sled i had just bought. when i got it apart the stator plate was rotated all the way to the right and was no where near the timing marks. does anyone know if these cdi ignitions have to be lined up with the timing marks. i changed the seals and put the sled back together just the way i found it and i marked the stator plate when i took it apart. someone had it apart before and looks like they changed the right hand coil or primary coil according to pictures from browns. this was eviden due to the assorted hardware i found in the coil. also does anyone know what these coils should meter out at. i put the sled together and put gas in the carbs and it started right up but kept quiting. its flooding plugs bad but i think it losing spark. so i pulled the cover of the mag and am going to wait for a reply on the timing mark issue. i hope thats it. any help would be appreciated.

jim

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow does that bring back memories most good. I had a 81 6000 iam not sure if they were timed the same but i think they are. There were 3 marks on the stator and i used the middle one. The last time i did this was 15 years ago but to answer your question it should be timed not turned all the way to the right. As for ohm meter reading i do not remember. Those carbs were famous for needle& seat failure that to could cause flooding. good luck

·
Registered
480 Posts
WOW surprised it didn't start backwards! Definately use the cast in timing marks for a starting point. you can fine tune later but to be rotated more than 20 degrees from stock is asking for big time trouble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys i will set it up on the center timing mark. i have 2 76 5000 panthers that i can fall back onto for answers also. they have the same ignition type but being newer different plugs. if all else fails i will look at panther stators and set it up that way.

thanks
jim waters

·
Registered
197 Posts
I found my old tiger owners manual the timing is 25 degrees btdc @ 6000 rpm remember this is an 81. Also i know the timing will be diffrent between models even on the same engine. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts