Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

i have a 1979 Arcticat Jag with the 3 point Killswitch off-on-off the switch works as off in all positions periodically, and only allows spark while changing positions. I have been told this is due to a contact setup that was to stop runaway snowmobile problems caused by frozen or broken throttle cables. I have been told this can be remedied in two ways. 1. disconnecting the killswitch (BIIIIIIIIG NONO in my opinion) or 2. Bypassing those contacts. I was hoping that somebody here might know how to go about bypassing those contacts.

Many thanks

Kurt

·
Registered
474 Posts
Why not just replace the switch with a new one? Kimpex sells them fairly cheap. Bolt in swap that I think I saw in the Dennis Kirk catalog. A good kill switch is a nice feature that might save your A$$ if the throttle sticks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
because the killswitch is not the problem, it is the throttle safety switch, i have been told that in the 1979 jags there is a way to jump them in the handlebars, am wondering if anyone knows how to do this, if not i may just wire a tether system in instead

thanks

kurt

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Unsure if this will work on your sled but worth a try as it works on the newer models. Unplug the connection and plug back in leaving the middle pole out by bending the plug or make up a set of jumpers. Saftey is by passed and your kill should still work

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow...That's wierd. Mine just did this today. Ran fine for about a minute, the died. No spark except when you switch between on and off. I assume we are talking about the three position red button on the right side of the handle bars. How does one remove the red cap ? Does it just pop off ? How would you replace it ? Add a kill switch somewhere else and use the wiring form the factory one that doesn't work ?
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well on the older ones it is only a two prong plug. I took apart the system and saw that there were too metal posts on either side of the throttle cable. if one desired to, they could soilder a little wire across them to bypass the TSS. I currently have just disconnected my Kill switch "FOR TROUBLESHOOTING PURPOSES ONLY!" as they say, and am just going to purchase a tether, as they are only around $20 and safer than a kill switch anyways. I will still leave the red button there for show mind you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kopeck @ Feb 1 2007, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You can jump the switch, I had to when mine broke. Pretty much you find the plug (two prong) unplug it and either use the cat jumper or you can make your own.

This will bypass the kill switch and the throttle ice switch.

K[/b]

I have just unplugged the kill switch/TSS and it is working fine, no jumper was neccesary as this is a 79 system with which the wires are disconnected to run and connect when the kill switch is used (grounding the system out)

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CatsN @ Feb 1 2007, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kopeck @ Feb 1 2007, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can jump the switch, I had to when mine broke. Pretty much you find the plug (two prong) unplug it and either use the cat jumper or you can make your own.

This will bypass the kill switch and the throttle ice switch.

K[/b]

I have just unplugged the kill switch/TSS and it is working fine, no jumper was neccesary as this is a 79 system with which the wires are disconnected to run and connect when the kill switch is used (grounding the system out)
[/b][/quote]

You know, I had an '79 & a '81 and I bet I'm thinking of the '81. On the '79 the switch broke right off so we filled the hole with some black RTV so the water wouldn't get in but it was in the ON position. Anyway I remember there was a difference in the two systems.

Good luck with the '79, their great little machines.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good info....I assume that point where you unplug it is somewhere under the hood and you just follow the wires right ? Also, where have you, or will you, install the kill switch with tether ? I assume somewhere on the dash. One other question. On my 79 Jag, there is also a toggle switch way to the left on the dash. Is this factory? What exactly is it's purpose. I assume on and off.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
474 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rv340 @ Feb 2 2007, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Good info....I assume that point where you unplug it is somewhere under the hood and you just follow the wires right ? Also, where have you, or will you, install the kill switch with tether ? I assume somewhere on the dash. One other question. On my 79 Jag, there is also a toggle switch way to the left on the dash. Is this factory? What exactly is it's purpose. I assume on and off.
Thanks,
Mark[/b]

Back when I had a 1978 2000 FA Jag, I put one of those on from radio shack to run the slide luber motor. I drag raced it a couple times at club events for laughs. When I sold the sled, I removed the tank and the plumbing, left the switch in to fill the hole. Some handle bar heaters run on a switch too. Sounds like someone did the same thing to yours.

·
Registered
19 Posts
One last question. On a 79 Jag 3000, would the new kill switch with tether need to be normally open or closed. Seems it should be normally open but I am not sure.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes it unplugs down near coils. SHOULD be two brown wires. as far as the tether, i have yet to install it, so i will keep you posted

kurt

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes, to the very best of my knowledge seeing as how i unplugged and utilized no jumpers, that it is normally open. The question i pose is why would AC continue using a Throttle safety switch system that is so faulty?!?!?!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts